Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to MMA if Sonnen pulls off the upset?

Hybrid View

Default What happens to MMA if Sonnen pulls off the upset?

Ive watched many of the interviews lately between Jones and Sonnen. Sonnen singing Jones praises, stating he could take both Ali & Tyson in the same day, that he is the best in the sport. Jones stating he wants Ortiz record then he is looking for superfights and possibly a move to heavyweight. All the experts have Jones running away with a victory, but behind the scenes, dare I say this is the most pressure Jones has put on himself. My question to you, what happens to the future of MMA and the light heavyweight landscape if Sonnen pulls off the upset and beats Jones?

I used to think it would be great for the sport. Now Ive changed my tune. I think it would be awful. Now more than ever, Dana & Co. would think that the best selling fight would be the way to go over the guy that might actually deserve it. Now MMA would be more of a circus than ever.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

MMA would be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God shit. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    MMA would be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God shit. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Ghostbusters. Nice.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Jones would get an immediate rematch and win his belt back, and we'd be back to square 1. Catastrophe averted.

If Sonnen were to win... ah man that could open up an incredible opportunity (from a PPV-selling perspective). The UFC would have a couple of options that spring to mind; 1. Sell an immediate rematch, itself a huge draw. 2. Set up some kind of champ vs. champ Sonnen/Silva 3. To the hardcore fan it wouldn't make much sense given the circumstances in which Sonnen was finished in the last fight, but with the history these two have I don't think anyone would skip a third fight between the two, especially if the fight were billed as champ vs. champ.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Ghostbusters. Nice.
    I also caught the reference - Kevo's posts always crack me up!

you forgot the locust darkening the skies.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Nope.. Chael Sonnen would just be champion long enough to get beat by Machida. Meanwhile Anderson Silva would be officialy declared the GOAT with no rival much like Mayweather when Pacman got KTFO.

Also if Jones did lose it would further validate what I said before, "Jones his great but he still has a long ways to go."
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

If Sonnen was champ he could actually fight the true number one contenders and just sell the fight himself.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Thread Information