Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: What happens to MMA if Sonnen pulls off the upset?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,100

    Default What happens to MMA if Sonnen pulls off the upset?

    Ive watched many of the interviews lately between Jones and Sonnen. Sonnen singing Jones praises, stating he could take both Ali & Tyson in the same day, that he is the best in the sport. Jones stating he wants Ortiz record then he is looking for superfights and possibly a move to heavyweight. All the experts have Jones running away with a victory, but behind the scenes, dare I say this is the most pressure Jones has put on himself. My question to you, what happens to the future of MMA and the light heavyweight landscape if Sonnen pulls off the upset and beats Jones?

    I used to think it would be great for the sport. Now Ive changed my tune. I think it would be awful. Now more than ever, Dana & Co. would think that the best selling fight would be the way to go over the guy that might actually deserve it. Now MMA would be more of a circus than ever.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

    Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,225

    Default

    MMA would be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God shit. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    If Sonnen was champ he could actually fight the true number one contenders and just sell the fight himself.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    If Sonnen was champ he could actually fight the true number one contenders and just sell the fight himself.
    See I love Jones the fighter. Like his style and dominance. And it would be quite hilarious if Sonnen wins and messes with Dana & Co plans. But at the same time, I think Sonnen gets beat by many of the other top LHWs, loses in his first title defense and just will create more guys out there going for a gimmick to get a title fight rather an earn it. BTW, I don't think this is an easy fight like some think. If Sonnen CAN get Jones to the ground, its going to be interesting.

    PS- and maybe Im wrong, maybe it doesn't nothing to change the sport or makes it better. Who knows
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

    Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    See I love Jones the fighter. Like his style and dominance. And it would be quite hilarious if Sonnen wins and messes with Dana & Co plans. But at the same time, I think Sonnen gets beat by many of the other top LHWs, loses in his first title defense and just will create more guys out there going for a gimmick to get a title fight rather an earn it. BTW, I don't think this is an easy fight like some think. If Sonnen CAN get Jones to the ground, its going to be interesting.

    PS- and maybe Im wrong, maybe it doesn't nothing to change the sport or makes it better. Who knows
    You are right, but if a dominate champ had enough of a personality to sell fights all by himself, there would be no reason for the right fight getting turned down in favor of "money fights".
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Nothing Happens.

    Besides assholes talking shit to get high profile fights they don't deserve

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,717

    Default

    He wins, there would be immense chatter concerning the upset similar to Fedor losing to Werdum (when it damn near shut this site down) and it ends up being story of the year unless Silva or GSP loses.


    Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Albany, In
    Posts
    423

    Default

    There's a lot of complaining about Sonnen getting the title shot and most of it is justified. Though lets remember he put himself into this position by being the person to say, 'I'll step in on short notice and fight Jones'. He is being rewarded by the UFC for being the type of fighter who will step up and fight at a drop of the dime. It sucks for the top contenders who have been fighting at LHW and pushing to get that title shot, but I understand the reasoning.

    Remove the factoring in of him being the only fighter willing to step up and Sonnen wouldn't have been able to talk his way into the position of title shot and TUF coach. It was the catalyst.

    If he wins, pst, he'll have some tough title defenses. But I'd put money on Jones smashing him in a rematch.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    MMA would be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God shit. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Ghostbusters. Nice.
    Legalize MMA in New York


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Jones would get an immediate rematch and win his belt back, and we'd be back to square 1. Catastrophe averted.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •