Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC champ Georges St. Pierre insists his takedowns are 'zero wrestling'

1. Default UFC champ Georges St. Pierre insists his takedowns are 'zero wrestling'

Karate Kid! UFC champ Georges St. Pierre insists his takedowns are 'zero wrestling' - MMAmania.com

Move over Lyoto Machida, there's a new "Karate Kid" in town. Well, he's been here all along, we just didn't realize it.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre has long been considered one of the best wrestlers in all of mixed martial arts (MMA).

And rightfully so.

During his reign as champion, "Rush" has dominated the grappling aspect of his fights (and just about everything else), including taking down and controlling accomplished collegiate wrestlers like Josh Koscheck, Matt Hughes and Jon Fitch.

You would think with his repeated success, the French-Canadian attended a top notch NCAA wrestling powerhouse college and earned countless "All American" credentials and national titles, right?

Not really.

St. Pierre says the secret to his success all begins with his karate background, an aspect of MMA he's been dabbling in since the age of seven. "Rush" spilled the beans during his recent appearance on "The Joe Rogan Experience:

"That's what I use for my takedown, the shoot, that people see, it's zero wrestling. It has nothing to do with my wrestling. My wrestling is once I get that leg, I'll finish the takedown. But how I get in and out is because of karate. People are like, ‘no way, Karate, no.' And I'm like, 'yes.' Karate allows me to cut the distance and take the people down. I have a very good single, a very good double and very good penetration. It's because of my leg, the way I do it, and the timing is because of my karate. I wrestle, too, but my karate is primary. Before I started wrestling, I was a karate guy pure."
    And while Georges doesn't necessarily have the traditional karate fighting stance such as the one demonstrated by the aforementioned Machida, he is a third-degree black belt in Kyokushin, a discipline he studies to this day.

Stances aside, "GSP" has proven that his grappling prowess all goes back to his Karate roots and it's a discipline he won't be abandoning anytime soon. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And we can expect to see an enrollment increase at karate dojos everywhere in the near future.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

You heard it first people: GSP has Very Good Penetration.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

3. Default

Stood with Kos, stood with Jake, destroyed Alves on the feet. Beat up Penn on the feet.

Come on man.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

175 straight minutes in the cage without a finish. Boo GSP!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    That is why I said he don't stand anymore.....those fight are all over two years ago

come on man
    Don't you get it Sakara? Two years is ancient history. Anything that hasn't been done within the last two years doesn't count and should be stricken from MMA records. The greatness of Pride including Fedor, Wanderlei, Sakaruba, Henderson, Rampage, Shogun, none of that stuff counts. Anderson's violent wins early on, didn't happen. Rampage, Chucks, Tito's and Randy's title reigns, forget it. BJ Penn the monster at lightweight, I don't recall that.

Aside from sarcastically ripping TBEAR's post apart I listened to the JRE episode with GSP and it is really interesting. Definitely worth 75 minutes of your life.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

GSP did not destroy Alves on the feet...

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    GSP did not destroy Alves on the feet...
    Nope was lay-n-pray 101

Thread Information