+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roy Nelson believes impressive UFC 159 win over Kongo could lead to title shot

Default Roy Nelson believes impressive UFC 159 win over Kongo could lead to title shot

Roy Nelson believes impressive UFC 159 win over Kongo could lead to title shot | News

Know that classic MMA fighter adage of "Whoever the UFC puts in front of me"?

Yeah, well not Roy Nelson. Not Roy Nelson at all.

"That's not me," the UFC heavyweight on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) at a UFC 159 media day at Madison Square Garden in New York. "I never say that. I say, 'Whoever has the gold!' If they go, 'Hey, you can have the next title shot,' I'll wait for two years, three years, four years, whatever. I'll take that. I'll be the Rashad Evans of the heavyweight division."
    "Cheick has a few strategies," he said. "I've got to make sure he doesn't try to grab my shorts. That's a big one. Knees to the balls – that's a big one. No grabbing the fence. And then hopefully he won't run. So those are all the things I'm looking at. I'm there to fight, and try to knock his block off."

And if Kongo doesn't want to engage and run, as Nelson said? Or if he tries to clinch with him for three rounds against the fence, as was the hallmark of his win over Jordan in July?

Nelson has a way around that.

"If Cheick wants to fight, then I'm ready to go," he said. "But if he's going to run, I didn't bring my running shoes. I'll chase him down if I have to. But at the end of the day, I just want to fight."

And if things line up just right for him with a win, he believes fighting the winner of next month's title fight between champ Velasquez and Antonio Silva might just be in the cards.

"It really comes down to the fans. It is about that timing," Nelson said. "After UFC 160, it's only a month difference (from now). So the timing after this, if I win, I definitely could get the next title shot."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Because Chieck Kongo is a top 5 HW currently...

Keep dreaming of that title shot. Better competition should be defeated rather than a gatekeeper in order to earn a titleshot.

1 Junior dos Santos
    2 Daniel Cormier
    3 Fabricio Werdum
    4 Antonio Silva
    5 Alistair Overeem
    6 Roy Nelson
    7 Frank Mir
    8 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    9 Mark Hunt
    10 Travis Browne

he's not even a top ten

He's right that timing could end up getting you title shots over more deserved individuals. We have seen this happen in the past. The problem is that timing doesn't really favour Nelson. Cormier, the winner of Dos Santos/Hunt in May, and the winner of Big Nog/Werdum all would get title shots before him.

The only way I can see it happening is if Cain beats Big Foot, then Cormier will get booted out of the picture, and then the winner of both Dos/Santos Hunt and Big Nog/Werdum get injured. Even then it would still come down to him and Travis Browne, although I would lean towards Nelson there.

On a side note, I wonder if they'll pair Alistair Overeem and Travis Browne. Makes sense to me. Or even Overeem and Mir.

Quote Originally Posted by dj triple View Post
    1 Junior dos Santos
    2 Daniel Cormier
    3 Fabricio Werdum
    4 Antonio Silva
    5 Alistair Overeem
    6 Roy Nelson
    7 Frank Mir
    8 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    9 Mark Hunt
    10 Travis Browne

he's not even a top ten
    Excuse me if you feel this is ignorant, but is Cormier seriously ranked #2...?

Quote Originally Posted by BlunTForcE View Post
    Excuse me if you feel this is ignorant, but is Cormier seriously ranked #2...?
    Because Cain is the champ. If you rank the champ #1 then Cormier would be #3, which is debatable but not terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

right now i see it as this: If hunt Ko's JDS then he gets next shot, if JDS wins he still has to go thru Overeem, and if JDS wins Werdum is next as long as he gets thru Big Nog...

There's no harm in trying, but I think ultimately Nelson's major one-sided losses to JDS and Werdum and the pretty solid loss to Mir will be a massive detriment to any argument he makes going forward even with a win over a perennial periphery ten guy like Kongo. Also, wins over PeeWee and Mitrione aren't "title contender conversation pieces" to hang your hat on and sadly, a win over Crocop now doesn't mean as much as it once did.

At least he would be getting a title shot after winning a fight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information