Roy Nelson believes impressive UFC 159 win over Kongo could lead to title shot | News

Know that classic MMA fighter adage of "Whoever the UFC puts in front of me"?

Yeah, well not Roy Nelson. Not Roy Nelson at all.

"That's not me," the UFC heavyweight on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) at a UFC 159 media day at Madison Square Garden in New York. "I never say that. I say, 'Whoever has the gold!' If they go, 'Hey, you can have the next title shot,' I'll wait for two years, three years, four years, whatever. I'll take that. I'll be the Rashad Evans of the heavyweight division."
"Cheick has a few strategies," he said. "I've got to make sure he doesn't try to grab my shorts. That's a big one. Knees to the balls – that's a big one. No grabbing the fence. And then hopefully he won't run. So those are all the things I'm looking at. I'm there to fight, and try to knock his block off."

And if Kongo doesn't want to engage and run, as Nelson said? Or if he tries to clinch with him for three rounds against the fence, as was the hallmark of his win over Jordan in July?

Nelson has a way around that.

"If Cheick wants to fight, then I'm ready to go," he said. "But if he's going to run, I didn't bring my running shoes. I'll chase him down if I have to. But at the end of the day, I just want to fight."

And if things line up just right for him with a win, he believes fighting the winner of next month's title fight between champ Velasquez and Antonio Silva might just be in the cards.

"It really comes down to the fans. It is about that timing," Nelson said. "After UFC 160, it's only a month difference (from now). So the timing after this, if I win, I definitely could get the next title shot."