Thread: UFC 159 fighter announces possible retirement following UFC 159 bout

1. Default UFC 159 fighter announces possible retirement following UFC 159 bout

UFC 159: Sonnen ready to retire after loss to Jon Jones - Bloody Elbow

At tonight's UFC 159 event, Jon Jones proved that he was by far the better fighter when he stepped into the cage against Chael Sonnen. Without a doubt Sonnen did his best to bring the fight to the Light Heavyweight champion, but he was completely overwhelmed by the champion's ability. With less than half a minute left in the first round, Jones finished Sonnen with brutal ground strikes to retain his belt and tie the record for LHW title defenses.

Following the fight, Joe Rogan questioned Chael regarding his plans going forward. The defeated challenger replied solemnly:

He's an excellent fighter, I have no problem with the decision or stoppage. He's very powerful. When he went for the kill, I thought I was alright but I think he's the better fighter.

I just wanted to beat him, I thought I could keep up with him. I was surprised at his power and his size. I'm disappointed. I thought I had more in me. Tonight Jon's the man.

I'm gonna think it through. I'm not gonna be one of the guys to hang around. If there's not a road to the title, this sport isn't for me. I believe that was probably my last opportunity.
    Going out following the two biggest fights of his MMA career would by no means lessen Chael's accomplishments. He complimented an incredibly effective grinding style with a sometimes infuriating persona that drew in MMA fans to work himself to become one of the most prolific names in the UFC. If this was his last fight, the UFC will be losing something special that won't be easily replaced.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

He's very powerful. When he went for the kill, I thought I was alright but I think he's the better fighter.
    Exactly my thoughts.... Chael was alright at the time, but Jones was clearly the better fighter. He got Chael down at will and.... actually did damage with his GNP...

I wouldnt mind seeing GSP vs. Chael at MW... I honestly think Chael poses some BIG problems for GSP...

GSP is best at landing his fast takedowns, catching his opponents off guard in transition... Chael wont play the standup game. He always fights the same way... GSP would have to get Chael down from the clinch... which is he more than capable of, but Chael could get him down as well... GSP isnt Jones, physically speaking...

3. Default

Why would GSP want to fight Sonnen 3 time title loser what would it do for him?
    Now will Sonnen hang around and announce drum up fights or will he go wrasslen WWE.

I would retire if I were in MMA too after this shitshow of reffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.... Chael was alright at the time, but Jones was clearly the better fighter. He got Chael down at will and.... actually did damage with his GNP...

I wouldnt mind seeing GSP vs. Chael at MW... I honestly think Chael poses some BIG problems for GSP...

GSP is best at landing his fast takedowns, catching his opponents off guard in transition... Chael wont play the standup game. He always fights the same way... GSP would have to get Chael down from the clinch... which is he more than capable of, but Chael could get him down as well... GSP isnt Jones, physically speaking...
    C'mon dog you know you are not supposed to bring up GSP fighting Sonnen here. That's a topic that usually gets dodged.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    C'mon dog you know you are not supposed to bring up GSP fighting Sonnen here. That's a topic that usually gets dodged.
    GSP is more comfortable at LW.

Jon's size advantage over Chael surprised me, and Chael is not a small guy. Poor Chael. He got in one-liners during every breath, but they didn't help him in the fight.

A journalist said that the UFC should stop putting Chael in fights that he won't win, because they are wasting talent. I agree with that point. Sonnen is a top 3 - 5 middleweight, but he looks washed up because of losses to the two best fighters in the world. If he didn't hype himself up so much, he might be the #2 or 1 middleweight right now. It seems to me that he doesn't want to approach his career any other way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I would retire if I were in MMA too after this shitshow of reffing.
    Aside from the eye poke ending the fight without a doctor inspecting it first the reffing really wasn't all that bad. It definitely wasn't bad enough for a fighter to consider a career change over it.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information