+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 159: Roy Nelson wants to fight Mark Hunt after Cheick Kongo

Hybrid View

1. Default UFC 159: Roy Nelson wants to fight Mark Hunt after Cheick Kongo

UFC 159: Roy Nelson wants to fight Mark Hunt after Cheick Kongo - MMAmania.com

Even though he has a difficult test ahead of him in the form of Cheick Kongo at UFC 159 Saturday night (April 27, 2013) in Newark, N.J., Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight Roy Nelson already has the name of his next opponent in mind.

"Big Country" is slated to face Kongo on the pay-per-view (PPV) portion of the UFC 159 fight card at the Prudential Center, and once he dispatches of the Frenchman, would like to take on fellow rotund heavyweight contender Mark Hunt.

"I would love to fight Mark Hunt," Nelson told ESPN at Thursday's (April 25, 2013) UFC 159 media day in New York City. "They're even talking about Mark Hunt getting the next title shot."
    The match up is a rather intriguing on paper, as both Nelson and Hunt are extremely heavy hitters that have an incredible ability to absorb damage in a fight. They are two of the shortest fighters in the weight class and aside from a clear jiu-jitsu advantage for Nelson; their skillsets match up rather nicely.

As of now, though, "The Super Samoan" has his hands full with his upcoming bout against ex-titleholder Junior dos Santos at UFC 160 in May. The 39-year-old is currently riding a four-fight win-streak and with a win "Cigano" would likely move past Nelson in the rankings and near a title shot.

If Nelson can't get a fight with Hunt following UFC 159, he won't be too upset. Because at the end of the day, The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season 10 winner just wants whatever match up will move him closest to the title.

"I'm up for any fight in the UFC," Nelson explained. "At the end of the day you're trying to get that gold so whatever gets me closer to that will make the fans happy."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Finally one of the fights I have been waiting to see happen. Beating Kongo should be a piece of cake for Roy.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Kongo has a decent chance of beating Roy, IMO

but Hunt owns Roy all night.

just a more brutal replay of JDS/Roy

Mark Hunt is just too much a beast for Roy
    best sig ever, hopefully rivethead is finally happy.
    doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    Kongo has a decent chance of beating Roy, IMO

but Hunt owns Roy all night.

just a more brutal replay of JDS/Roy

Mark Hunt is just too much a beast for Roy
    Roy takes down Hunt and subs easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Roy takes down Hunt and subs easy.
    ^ This. After JDS beats Hunt, this fight would be perfect imo.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Roy is a much more well rounded fighter than Hunt & would be the clear favorite.

With that said, it'd probably just be a slugfest so who knows how that would turn out. I'd definitely pay to see it!
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Yeah if Hunt actually beats JDS I do not see in any way Hunt fighting Roy.
    I do see Hunt fighting for a title.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

The comedy in that fight is obvious.

Seriously though, they are two of the toughest fat guys in the world.

9. Default

Hunt isn't so easily taken down anymore. And IMO Struve has a much more explosive sub game off his back and on top and couldn't sub Hunt.

Roy doesn't really use his BJJ to attack, more to hold positions. And Roy isn't known for his takedowns. Actually, they are pretty weak. Hunt has a cinder block for a chin and is light years ahead of Roy on the feet.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Sounds like it is going to be Cormier Vs. Nelson next for them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information