Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 159 results: Jon Jones suspended indefinitely after breaking toe

1. Default UFC 159 results: Jon Jones suspended indefinitely after breaking toe

UFC 159 results: Jon Jones suspended indefinitely after breaking toe - Bloody Elbow

As expected, Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones turned in a dominant performance over challenger Chael Sonnen at UFC 159. Sonnen was probably the most aggressive of Jones' contenders to date, but it didn't help him when he ended up beneath Jones in the closing minute of the first round. Jon unleashed devastating ground strikes to finish the fight despite having suffered a gruesome injury to his toe earlier in the bout.

Just an hour after the event the NJSAC released the medical suspensions for everyone that appeared on the card:

Jon Jones: Jones suspended indefinite pending orthopaedic clearance of left foot.
    Chael Sonnen: Sonnen suspended 45 days for facial laceration
    Alan Belcher: Belcher suspended indefinite pending opthalmological clearance of right eye.
    Cheick Kongo: Kongo suspended 30 days for KO.
    Phil Davis: Davis suspended indefinite pending orthopaedic clearance of left knee
    Davis suspended indefinite pending x-rays of left thumb.
    Jim Miller: Miller suspended for 60 days recovery.
    Miller suspended indefinite pending CT head scan.
    Pat Healy: Healy suspended 45 days for facial lacerations
    Yancy Medeiros: Medeiros suspended indefinite pending orthopaedic clearance of right thumb.
    Gian Villante: Villante suspended indefinite pending opthalmological clearance of left eye.
    Villante suspended indefinite pending x-rays of lower leg and ankle
    Sheila Gaff: Gaff suspended 30 days for TKO.
    Bryan Caraway: Caraway suspended 30 days for rest period.
    Johnny Bedford: Bedford suspended 60 days for facial laceration
    Steven Siler: Siler suspended 45 days for scalp laceration.
    Kurt Holobaugh: Holobaugh suspended 60 days for lower lip laceration
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

That was gruesome. We rewinded the fight last night to find how it happened but I could not find it. Wonder how he managed to mangle his toe so badly
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

He said that he thought there was a hole in the canvas n his toe went into it.

Seeing his face once he realized his foot was broken was painful. Jones is one tough mofo, that's for damn sure. It's a good thing he finished the fight in Rnd1, because the fight definitely would've been a no contest if the ref realized it sooner.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Yeah, ppl like to question Jone's heart and his "desire", to sit there and talk to Joe Rogan with that injury, hell he didn't even ASK for a stool. I could see blood and his toe was pointing almost E or W. How he even managed to keep his shit together is a mystery to me, I'd be screaming like 9 year old girl.....I mean I lose my shit when I stub my big toe.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    He said that he thought there was a hole in the canvas n his toe went into it.

Seeing his face once he realized his foot was broken was painful. Jones is one tough mofo, that's for damn sure. It's a good thing he finished the fight in Rnd1, because the fight definitely would've been a no contest if the ref realized it sooner.
    You mean good thing Jones finished the fight in the first because if it would have lasted another 20 seconds... Sonnen would be the new LHW of the world!
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    You mean good thing Jones finished the fight in the first because if it would have lasted another 20 seconds... Sonnen would be the new LHW of the world!
    I was just checking the photos of the fight and I noticed that he broke his toe after the fight was over. Did he actually broke his toe while doing the victory cartwheel? Quite weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    There is a GIF floating around and the toe is definitely broken during the fight, not after.
    Really need to check that gif. Maybe he broke the toe during the fight but I think he ended up ripping the flesh during the victory cartwheel.

This photos after the fight and it seems his toe's intact.

Default Doctor: UFC mishandled Jones treatment in wake of serious toe injury

Doctor: UFC mishandled Jones treatment in wake of serious toe injury - Mixed Martial Arts News

MMA Junkie's resident doctor, Johnny Benjamin, believes the UFC did not take the proper steps to make sure their star was properly cared for in the wake of the injury

Unfortunately, Jones was allowed to give a post-fight interview in the cage, and then he went to the dressing room, where someone closed the wound with stitches, possibly trapping dirt and bacteria inside, and fashioned a rudimentary splint. He then sat through some portion of the post-fight press conference to answer questions – all with the eight-hour clock ticking away.

I have a question: Where was the UFC orthopedic surgeon or medical director during the immediate on-scene triage, care and medical decision-making process of one of the promotion's and MMA's greatest stars?

Jones' future is relatively easy to predict: very, very bright if he does not get an infection, but not so much if he does.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information