Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weidman says he got UFC 162 title fight with Silva only because Evans lost

I still can't figure out how he's the #1 contender....what other contenders does he have under his belt aside from Mark Munoz. And don't even use the Silva had fewer fights arguement. Back then the MW division was pretty thin and Rich was beating everyone in his path. Silva was a fight people wanted to see. Weidmann had one good KO over a chubby Mark Munoz and suddenly he's the #1 contender. What about Luke Rockhold, Bisping, Vitor, Lombard, Okami, Jacare, Pahlares, Belcher, Sonnen and maybe 1 or 2 other names in the MW division. Those or BIG names and top contenders, he fought not one of those fighters. so how is he the #1 contender again? Oh that's right he knocked someone out with a standing elbow like 2 years ago.....And after he loses all his supporters will say, "ah it was just too soon for him, he needed a few more fights....."
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    I still can't figure out how he's the #1 contender....what other contenders does he have under his belt aside from Mark Munoz. And don't even use the Silva had fewer fights arguement. Back then the MW division was pretty thin and Rich was beating everyone in his path. Silva was a fight people wanted to see. Weidmann had one good KO over a chubby Mark Munoz and suddenly he's the #1 contender. What about Luke Rockhold, Bisping, Vitor, Lombard, Okami, Jacare, Pahlares, Belcher, Sonnen and maybe 1 or 2 other names in the MW division. Those or BIG names and top contenders, he fought not one of those fighters. so how is he the #1 contender again? Oh that's right he knocked someone out with a standing elbow like 2 years ago.....And after he loses all his supporters will say, "ah it was just too soon for him, he needed a few more fights....."
    Bisping?
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Bisping?
    or bisbing hell I can never really remember and after the henderson and Belfort fights I'd be surprised if he could as well.........
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

My preference would have been to let Weidman grow a bit more with a fight or two and feed Silva other fighters in the meantime but with Bisping and Boetsch both dropping fight earlier this year, I'd agree he's the best choice at the moment. Rockhold would have been a similarly acceptable challenger but at this point but I completely understand Silva's hesitation in taking either fight. Neither guy screams "money" fight and both require a bit more promotional spotlight and seasoning. I'm glad Silva's fighting Weidman though, as an avid reader of these forums and with the constant pumping of Weidman's tires here, I've become quite interested in what this kid can do against the Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    My preference would have been to let Weidman grow a bit more with a fight or two and feed Silva other fighters in the meantime but with Bisping and Boetsch both dropping fight earlier this year, I'd agree he's the best choice at the moment. Rockhold would have been a similarly acceptable challenger but at this point but I completely understand Silva's hesitation in taking either fight. Neither guy screams "money" fight and both require a bit more promotional spotlight and seasoning. I'm glad Silva's fighting Weidman though, as an avid reader of these forums and with the constant pumping of Weidman's tires here, I've become quite interested in what this kid can do against the Spider.
    Out of curiosity Trav, which fighters would you have preferred to be fed to The Spider while Weidman developed? Which fighters would you prefer to see Weidman matched up against to build him up?

Not sure about the pumping tires comment - I've posted or followed virtually all of the Silva/Weidman threads. Most posters supporting Weidman's claim to a shot are doing so on the basis that any fighter riding a five-fight win streak including back-to-back wins over top 5 opponents mean he's paid his dues already and has earned the shot, NOT that he's a lock to beat Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Out of curiosity Trav, which fighters would you have preferred to be fed to The Spider while Weidman developed? Which fighters would you prefer to see Weidman matched up against to build him up?

Not sure about the pumping tires comment - I've posted or followed virtually all of the Silva/Weidman threads. Most posters supporting Weidman's claim to a shot are doing so on the basis that any fighter riding a five-fight win streak including back-to-back wins over top 5 opponents mean he's paid his dues already and has earned the shot, NOT that he's a lock to beat Silva.
    Let me just start by saying I personally think Weidman is a hell of a talent and I believe he's done enough to earn himself a title shot but I think that has a lot to do with the lack of depth at middleweight over the past year. On top of that, I believe the UFC has done a bit of a disservice in their promotion of Chris as they buried his performance against Munoz on FuelTV with its limited viewership. They had a perfect opportunity to showcase that fight on the Silva/Sonnen II main card and all the eyeballs that were glued to it.

As for who I would like to have seen Anderson fight first, optimally it would have been Bisping but losing to Vitor botched that. And I thought the scheduled Weidman/Boetsch for December was a great showcase fight for both guys. Of course, that fell through and Boetsch lost anyways so when all the dust was settled the best fight ended up being Silva vs. Weidman. And I agree with it. I like Evans and would like to see him move to middleweight but I think a contender should take at least one fight in the division first (and win!).

As for my pumping the tires comment, as much as I think Weidman has done enough to earn a title shot I never really could fathom the outrage shown by many on this board when they originally past over him. When I'd step away from here and listen to MMA podcasts or talk MMA with my friends nobody had as strong feelings regarding Weidman as those on this board. He's good no doubt! I'm curious if he's good enough to support the hype.

i really think weidman has a chance he is a better striker and grappler than chael who has we all know overwelmed silva with wrestling for the good part of 6 rounds.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    i really think weidman has a chance he is a better striker and grappler than chael who has we all know overwelmed silva with wrestling for the good part of 6 rounds.
    We all wish it so... but no... Weidman gets his ass beat.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    Let me just start by saying I personally think Weidman is a hell of a talent and I believe he's done enough to earn himself a title shot but I think that has a lot to do with the lack of depth at middleweight over the past year. On top of that, I believe the UFC has done a bit of a disservice in their promotion of Chris as they buried his performance against Munoz on FuelTV with its limited viewership. They had a perfect opportunity to showcase that fight on the Silva/Sonnen II main card and all the eyeballs that were glued to it.

As for who I would like to have seen Anderson fight first, optimally it would have been Bisping but losing to Vitor botched that. And I thought the scheduled Weidman/Boetsch for December was a great showcase fight for both guys. Of course, that fell through and Boetsch lost anyways so when all the dust was settled the best fight ended up being Silva vs. Weidman. And I agree with it. I like Evans and would like to see him move to middleweight but I think a contender should take at least one fight in the division first (and win!).

As for my pumping the tires comment, as much as I think Weidman has done enough to earn a title shot I never really could fathom the outrage shown by many on this board when they originally past over him. When I'd step away from here and listen to MMA podcasts or talk MMA with my friends nobody had as strong feelings regarding Weidman as those on this board. He's good no doubt! I'm curious if he's good enough to support the hype.
    Fair enough, and I agree he has suffered from the Munoz fight being on Fuel. The UFC were clearly hedging their bets and hoping Bisping would come through: had they started hyping him from July there'd be less of the "He's the best of what's left" feel about it.

Speaking for myself, the main reason I've posted about him is the depths to which some will sink to discredit him as a challenger, especially his wins over Maia and Munoz. The fact remains they were top 5 when he fought them, and beat them, back to back. To the best of my knowledge, that's a first at middleweight in the UFC.

To be honest, I'm not even a fan of the guy. But the rigamarole he had to go through to be even begrudgingly accepted as number one contender is beyond me.

10. Default

This is a large part the UFC's fault. They promised Weidmen a shot left Silva play his games, than tried to promote Bisping. I don't think Weidman is going to win, but thats not the issue at hand. The champ is to fight the number 1 contender period, and if #1 has to pull out than #2 moves up. Letting champs pick and choose is not helping the sport only the short term $$$$$$ not long term $$$$$$

Thread Information