Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Anderson Silva Call Dana White and Ask for Jon Jones Following UFC 159?

1. Default Did Anderson Silva Call Dana White and Ask for Jon Jones Following UFC 159?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/did-anderso...lowing-ufc-159

To the mixed martial arts fans across the globe that have been watching, waiting and wondering about the possibility some combination of a Georges St-Pierre/Anderson Silva/Jon Jones superfight, the picture has become a bit clearer.

Well, sort of… if you read between the not so blurry lines.

At the UFC 159 post-fight press conference at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on Saturday night, a battered and bruised Chael Sonnen sounded off on a potential superfight between his recent conqueror, Jon Jones, and his former nemesis, Anderson Silva.

“If you’re gonna go fight a guy, go fight a guy. It drives me crazy, man. People are out talking about Anderson and Jon – these guys, right now, should be begging (Dana White) to fight each other,” proclaimed a heated Sonnen.

“But it’s not gonna go that way. You got these two guys, and they’re great, but they’re a couple of chickens. They should be calling each other out.

“They should be grabbing the mic and saying, ‘Hey, I want to fight that guy! I don’t want the debate. I want this figured out. Dana, give me a date. I want this figured out. Give me the fight.’

“But it won’t happen that way. Dana’s gonna have to call these guys, and they’re gonna have to dangle a carrot. And then they’re gonna want to negotiate. We’re in the fight business, if you don’t want to fight, then don’t raise your hand.”
    And that’s when UFC president Dana White dropped a bomb.

“It actually did happen tonight. Anderson called and he wants the fight tonight.”
    Wait, what?

“It did happen. Anderson called and he wants the fight, and I’m not going to tell you which one it is, but I’m going to get to work on it as soon as possible.”
    In typical Dana White fashion, he left out whom “The Spider” asked for, but any astute MMA fan could deduce that it may be more than just common coincidence that Silva was calling his boss on a night when the consensus rival “GOAT” was fighting in the main event.

Earlier this week, UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre all but nixed any possibility of a superfight – at least in the near term – leaving the door wide open for discussion of a Jones vs. Silva super showdown.

Jones and Silva are often referenced as the two greatest fighters ever. Silva has built an enduring legacy with his matrix-esque fighting style and undefeated reign as the UFC middleweight champion. Jones, meanwhile, is the UFC’s youngest champion in company history. He has a terrifying blend of new-breed skills that has left a litany of past champions laying in his wake.

It’s easy to make a substantial argument for either fighter as the mythical pound-for-pound greatest.

But should Anderson Silva defeat Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, it’s also easy to see a superfight between Silva and Jones coming together rather quickly. And there is little question that Silva vs. Jones would be the biggest fight in mixed martial arts’ 20-year history.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

2. Default Did Anderson Silva Call Dana White and Ask for Jon Jones Following UFC 159?

Did Anderson Silva Call Dana White and Ask for Jon Jones Following UFC 159? | MMAWeekly.com

To the mixed martial arts fans across the globe that have been watching, waiting and wondering about the possibility some combination of a Georges St-Pierre/Anderson Silva/Jon Jones superfight, the picture has become a bit clearer.

Well, sort of… if you read between the not so blurry lines.

At the UFC 159 post-fight press conference at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on Saturday night, a battered and bruised Chael Sonnen sounded off on a potential superfight between his recent conqueror, Jon Jones, and his former nemesis, Anderson Silva.

“If you’re gonna go fight a guy, go fight a guy. It drives me crazy, man. People are out talking about Anderson and Jon – these guys, right now, should be begging (Dana White) to fight each other,” proclaimed a heated Sonnen.

“But it’s not gonna go that way. You got these two guys, and they’re great, but they’re a couple of chickens. They should be calling each other out.

“They should be grabbing the mic and saying, ‘Hey, I want to fight that guy! I don’t want the debate. I want this figured out. Dana, give me a date. I want this figured out. Give me the fight.’

“But it won’t happen that way. Dana’s gonna have to call these guys, and they’re gonna have to dangle a carrot. And then they’re gonna want to negotiate. We’re in the fight business, if you don’t want to fight, then don’t raise your hand.”
    And that’s when UFC president Dana White dropped a bomb.

“It actually did happen tonight. Anderson called and he wants the fight tonight.”
    Wait, what?

“It did happen. Anderson called and he wants the fight, and I’m not going to tell you which one it is, but I’m going to get to work on it as soon as possible.”
    In typical Dana White fashion, he left out whom “The Spider” asked for, but any astute MMA fan could deduce that it may be more than just common coincidence that Silva was calling his boss on a night when the consensus rival “GOAT” was fighting in the main event.

Earlier this week, UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre all but nixed any possibility of a superfight – at least in the near term – leaving the door wide open for discussion of a Jones vs. Silva super showdown.

Jones and Silva are often referenced as the two greatest fighters ever. Silva has built an enduring legacy with his matrix-esque fighting style and undefeated reign as the UFC middleweight champion. Jones, meanwhile, is the UFC’s youngest champion in company history. He has a terrifying blend of new-breed skills that has left a litany of past champions laying in his wake.

It’s easy to make a substantial argument for either fighter as the mythical pound-for-pound greatest.

But should Anderson Silva defeat Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, it’s also easy to see a superfight between Silva and Jones coming together rather quickly. And there is little question that Silva vs. Jones would be the biggest fight in mixed martial arts’ 20-year history.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Who cares? jones has a broken foot that he'll probably need surgery on. That will probably take a while so even if it was about jones, there would be no point to scrap the weidman bout.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

For some reason I think Silva asked for a fight with GSP. He's always seemed hesitant to go up in weight to fight for the title and more down to do a catch weight with GSP.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I bet he called Dana to ask for GSP.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

If he watched that fight and called Dana for a fight with GSP then I have lost the bit of respect I have for him, but if he watched Bones decimate his greatest rival at his own game, well then yeah Anderson is the biggest badass in the world. That hurts to say.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Not to mention that Joness' TD's and ground and pound are on a completely level than Sonnens.

Anderson Silva has nothing to gain by fighting Weidman. I don't blame him for wanting a super fight with either GSP/Jones.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Anderson Silva has nothing to gain by fighting Weidman. I don't blame him for wanting a super fight with either GSP/Jones.
    Wouldn't you agree that what Silva has to gain by fighting Weidman is disposing of the top MW contender/threat and proving his doubters wrong???
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

It would be absolutely hilarious if Anderson called to ask for the GSP fight after watching that fight. I dont think Dana would have mentioned it like that if it hadnt been about Jon Jones. Bones is going to be on the shelf for a bit. Hopefully Machida will fight Alexander in the meantime. Anderson will have to fight Weidman first as Dana confirmed at the scrum.

Thread Information