Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dane White: "Nelson/Kongo winner will get Cormier or Hunt after UFC 159 win'

1. Default Dane White: "Nelson/Kongo winner will get Cormier or Hunt after UFC 159 win'

White says Nelson will get Cormier or Hunt after UFC 159 knockout of Kongo | News

NEWARK, N.J. – Roy Nelson wanted a crack at the UFC heavyweight title if he had an impressive win over Cheick Kongo.

He won't get it, but he's already been promised one of two fights that would get him closer after his win at UFC 159 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) that Nelson (19-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC), who scored a first-round knockout Saturday of Kongo (18-8-2 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC), will get him either a fight with Daniel Cormier or Mark Hunt.

White told MMAjunkie.com he spoke with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva following Nelson's win and came up with the two possibilities. Hunt fights Junior dos Santos next month at UFC 160. Cormier is a week removed from a win over Frank Mir in his UFC debut.

Just before White's announcement, Nelson said he was willing to fight whoever the UFC wanted. But he had made it clear earlier in the week that he wanted to fight for the title.

After White's declaration, Nelson said he'd take on either fighter, regardless of situation.

"I'm there. Whatever," Nelson said. "I want to fight the best in the world, and fighting Daniel, an Olympian, I'm more than happy to welcome him to the UFC. Mark Hunt, if he can get past 'JDS,' sure. And if he doesn't, I'd still fight Mark Hunt. I'm all about making everyone happy."
    White said he and Silva agreed that if it's a title shot Nelson is looking for, one of those two opponents would certainly get him closer with a win.

"If he wants to get to the title shot, those are the guys he deserves," White said.
    Cormier (12-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is unbeaten after his long run in Strikeforce. He dominated Mir at UFC on FOX 7 this past week.

Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) meets Dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC), and White said a Dos Santos win will lead to a title shot with the Cain Velasquez-Antonio Silva winner. Hunt knocked out Stefan Struve earlier this year, and a win over JDS could get him a fight with Nelson.

The UFC may wait until the aftermath of UFC 160, which takes place May 25 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, before figuring out just who Nelson will face. But Cormier was quick to hear the news and said on Twitter he'd be happy with the fight against Nelson.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

2. Default

UFC 159 in Tweets: Pros react to Jones vs. Sonnen, Jones' gruesome broken toe, Bisping vs. Belcher, more - MMA Fighting

Daniel Cormier ✔ @dc_mma

Hey @danawhite ur right I think Roy nelson and I would be a damn good fight. How about it @roynelsonmma
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I have no interest in seeing roy fight cormier. I think it will look very similar to cormier vs mir.

I like Roy a lot but he gets beat by the elite HW's handily imo...

Standing vs. DC or Hunt it would be fireworks....

but He easily out grapples Hunt...

and vs. DC he easily gets out grappled... Roy is a beast on top, but his guard is has NEVER been good. DC would easily get a UD, if not finish. He takes Roy Down at will.

Interesting... DC stated several times that he wouldnt fight Cain, and said he wanted to go to LHW... now he wants Roy...

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I have no interest in seeing roy fight cormier. I think it will look very similar to cormier vs mir.
    Agree.

Roy absolutely destroys lesser competition. He is a finisher, but when he fights the better HW's he cant hold up... People often forget JDS, Mir and Werdum. He got dominated from start to finish in all of those fights... But yes he does have a good chin.

Nelson vs Hunt would be incredible. Battle of the super-chins!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Battle of the Homer Simpsons.

Assuming Cain beats Bigfoot again, why would the UFC be in more of a hurry to make dos Santos/Velasquez 3 than they are to give Hunt a shot if he were to beat JDS? Nelson and Overeem should be pretty close in the rankings now. Nelson/Overeem makes sense if AO recovers from his "injury" soon.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

I was under the belief that a win over JDS would get hunt a title shot. It's disappointing to me to see that hunt would take a step down if he beat a former champ.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Suisse drunk I'm having the funsies people not like my crazy
    someone should take my phone when I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    I was under the belief that a win over JDS would get hunt a title shot. It's disappointing to me to see that hunt would take a step down if he beat a former champ.
    That's my thinking, as well. If Hunt beats JDS he should be in line for a title shot. Who else would warrant it in the HW division?
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Triangle View Post
    That's my thinking, as well. If Hunt beats JDS he should be in line for a title shot. Who else would warrant it in the HW division?
    Werdum.
    But since Hunt is fighting JDS before Werdum and Big Nog square off, a win should get Hunt the next title shot. If Werdum gets past Nog, I'm sure he won't mind waiting a few months for a guaranteed heavyweight title match.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Thread Information