Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manager: Roy Nelson has 'nothing to gain' from fight with Daniel Cormier

1. Default Manager: Roy Nelson has 'nothing to gain' from fight with Daniel Cormier

Manager: Roy Nelson has 'nothing to gain' from fight with Daniel Cormier - Bloody Elbow

In arguably the biggest win of his UFC career, Heavyweight Roy Nelson capped off a three-fight win streak with a first round knockout of Cheick Kongo at UFC 159. Nelson has now finished 5 of his UFC wins inside round one. Following the win there was a lot of speculation of who would be next up to face "Big Country" in the Octagon. Foremost on the list was Strikeforce HWGP champion Daniel Cormier.

However, according to Nelson's manager Mike Kogan, that's not a fight they're interested in:

UFC Tonight ✔ @UFCTonight

Helwani reports @RoyNelsonMMA’s manager doesn’t want him to fight @dc_mma. He says that he doesn’t see what Roy will gain from that fight.

9:24 PM - 30 Apr 2013

11 Retweets 4 favorites Reply Retweet
    Instead, Kogan says they'd prefer a fight against Antonio Silva if he loses to Cain Velasquez UFC 160. If not that fight, they'd like Junior Dos Santos or Mark Hunt regardless of the outcome their fight on the same event.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

is his manager serious...? Doesnt gain anything from a fight with DC? Yeah okay...

Damn. That sounded like an awesome fight. Stupid managers.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

No, he has everything to gain. That's kind of the point of fighting guys ranked higher and closer to a title shot than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    is his manager serious...? Doesnt gain anything from a fight with DC? Yeah okay...
    He doesn't think he will gain anything because he doesn't think he will win.

I think the more appropriate wording should have been that Roy doesn't have as much to gain fighting Cormier as opposed to fighting JDS, Hunt, or Bigfoot.

....which I would agree with.

Definitely the risk toward ratio is definitely the worst in the Cormier fight
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I would love to see this fight... But is DC going to LHW or not? im sick of the talk about him fighting Jones if he doesnt plan on moving down now.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdizzle View Post
    I think the more appropriate wording should have been that Roy doesn't have as much to gain fighting Cormier as opposed to fighting JDS, Hunt, or Bigfoot.

....which I would agree with.
    Roy already lost to JDS... and even though Hunt and Bigfoot have been doing well as of late, DC is more regarded by the MMA community imo...

If Cain were not champ it is likely Cormier would be in title shot position & with that said Roy has a lot to gain if he beat Cormier & especially did so in decisive fashion.
    I'd say a win over Cormier does more for Roy than one over Hunt, considering even if Hunt beats JDS on top of all he's done in the past year he still does not get a title shot.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

How long until we reach a point where Cormier is beating all the top contenders before they get to Cain? Kind of like how Chuck Liddell used to do for Tito Ortiz.

Thread Information