Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellenberger on MacDonald: Hes not top10″ Only Hyped Due to Training with GSP

1. Default Ellenberger on MacDonald: Hes not top10″ Only Hyped Due to Training with GSP

Ellenberger on MacDonald: “He’s not top10″ Only Hyped Due to Training with GSP MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

Training with current UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre come with perks according to Jake Ellenberger as he speaks to MMA Digest about Rory MacDonald.

Im not really sold on him. In my opinion the only top 10 guy in our division hes fought hes lost to, and thats Carlos Condit. I think hes definitely a young up and comer, but nothing special.

Its still surprising to me, for some reason some people in this industry think hes a top five guy, which I dont even think hes a top 10 guy. But, for some reason he has a lot of hype. It must be because he trains with GSP. And he trains at that, whatever, he trains at that gym. I think I have fought and defeated tougher opponents in my UFC career than Rory MacDonald. But I never had a choice in who I fight, you know. Hes the name they gave me and I was all for it. Just let me know when and where.
    Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger will square off at UFC on Fox 8. The winner of will likely be the front-runner for the next title shot at welterweight.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

...Yeah, nothing special at all. Sure he trains with GSP but he has a much higher finishing percentage than him.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

3. Default

Jake KOs Rory Mac in the 2nd
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I like watching Rory, but he loses this one... He will probably get finished...

Rory's best aspect of his game is his ability to put the fight where he wants to put it... But will he be able to do that against a better wrestler? Condit has poor TDD and BJ defended his takedowns well, but got picked apart standing... BJ looked very slow, was much smaller, and had cardio issues... While Ellenberger has huge power and goes for the kill.

i agree with Ellenberger here. beating out of prime bj penn doesn't make you a top 10 fighter. Ellenberger by tko rd 1.
    war the juggernaut

I like them both. I hope they both just have a good time.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post

...Yeah, nothing special at all. Sure he trains with GSP but he has a much higher finishing percentage than him.
    Beatin up a bunch of LWs
    LJS-NEMS

This is crazy talk, the Rory that lost to Condit was top 10 material and the Rory that beat undersized Diaz and Penn might be more of a juggernaut than Ellenberger. The hype surrounding Rory isnt about him training with GSP its about whether he will ever face GSP in the octagon because he's that good.

Its still surprising to me, for some reason some people in this industry think hes a top five guy, which I dont even think hes a top 10 guy.
    He's very softly ranked at 9. I don't know any rankings that have him higher than that. Even the rankings on our main page--which are bad--don't have him higher than 10.

Lately, MMA rankings are about popularity as much as talent. Rory has talent, but there are a few guys I'd say are just as good who don't have as big push behind them right now: Saffiedine, Lawler, Woodley. Koscheck is coming off back-to-back losses, but even one win would put him back on par with Rory, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ...against lesser competition.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I don't like Rory. I'm not sure why, I just don't like that kid at all. That being said, I hope Jake beats the crap out of him.

Style-wise, I think Jake has the right ingredients to give Rory fits. Hard to see Rory winning this one, objectively speaking.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, its a fun thing to do."

Thread Information