Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheick Kongo cut, apparently

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    I think the difference is Barry fight usually means highlight reel no matter what giving or receiving . When Kongo gets a stand up opponent he usually takes him down n bores us to death if he gets stuck standing he's nothing but short grabbing and nut shots. Anyone and everyone knew Roy was going to knock him the fuck out I was laughing about it at work telling all the casuals how fat boy was gunna own poster boy.

I never understood the billing Frances most feared striker always grinded my gears.
    Haha I saw it coming. My one friend almost never watches the fights, but he could not believe that a living action figure got knocked out by a guy that looks like me.
    USA! USA! USA!

Feels like an act of economics more than anything. Kongo probably beats the bottom half of the division, but 70k to show is alot for a guy his age without too many impressive wins against top guys. He's a good gatekeeper, but I'd prefer they keep a guy like Napao over Kongo..

Kongo's dull fights against Mitrione, Browne and Jordan didn't win him any favours either.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Kinda weird that they would cut Kongo, when they never cut Pat Barry, who had worst stretches of being KO and sub'd. I hope they give him one more chance. There are still plenty of highlight reel matchups for him....
    Barry is more of a crowd favorite though. He does a great job in keeping his fan base happy and always has exciting fights to boot. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been kicked, but thats probably why he wasn't. Also Kongo is a dirty fighter and I think he rubs a lot of fans the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Well when you get KO'd in the fashion he did vs Nelson I think he deserves to get cut. Guy is supposed to be a kickboxer and he gets KO'd very early by the same thing Nelson always looks for, an overhand right-after letting himself get backed right up against the cage. Didn't use his reach with any straight punches, no kicks-nope, just backed straight up against the cage without offering ANY resistance.
    In that case Chael Sonnen should be cut too. He is supposed to be an elite wrestler and got taked down 3 times in 4 minutes and could not do a shit in the ground.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    In that case Chael Sonnen should be cut too. He is supposed to be an elite wrestler and got taked down 3 times in 4 minutes and could not do a shit in the ground.
    So you are saying Sonnen losing a match that most expected him to against a dominant top ranked fighter like Jones is the equivalent to getting ko'd by a mid tier heavyweight ?

I read this article from Jack Slack about Kongo's striking - check (Cheick?) it out here.

Whether he was cut outright or refused a deal as Rampage alleges I'm not surprised either way. Given the UFC's determination to slim their roster I'd expect them to start hardballing on contract renegotiations on guys who have name recognition but they think they can do without. If they take their talents elsewhere, see ya later; if they take the pay cut then hey, you got a solid, known fighter at a bargain price.

Idaho... Potatoes aint the only thing that we grow..

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    So you are saying Sonnen losing a match that most expected him to against a dominant top ranked fighter like Jones is the equivalent to getting ko'd by a mid tier heavyweight ?
    Jailson Silva Santos
    Eduardo Maiorino
    Edson Silva
    Joaquim Ferreira
    Jair Goncalves
    Geronimo dos Santos
    Fabricio Werdum
    Stefan Struve
    Mirko Filipović
    Gilbert Yvel
    Gabriel Gonzaga
    Cain Velasquez
    Frank Mir

What do these names have in Common? People that have been stopped by Junior Dos Santos..

Cain Velasquez
    Joaquim Ferreira

People who have Stopped Junior Dos Santos

Shane Carwin
    Roy Nelson

People who Dos Santos Cannot Put away...

Say what you will about Big Country but Roy is not a /Mid/ Tier HW, he imo is Top Ten and is Climbing, look at the changes in his body, the changes in his Cardio and Speed, Roy is evolving his game and going past that of the fatty who after round 1 has no tank.

Cheick Kongo
    Matt Mitrione
    Dave Herman
    Mirko Filipović
    Stefan Struve
    Brendan Schaub
    Brad Imes
    Fabiano Scherner
    Antoine Jaoude
    Bryan Vetell
    Mario Rinaldi
    Vince Lucero
    Jerome Smith
    Jason Godsey
    Michael Buchkovich
    Ray Seraile
    Bo Cantrell

These are the list of people that
    He has stopped out of his 19 Wins he has 17 Stoppages... 5 of which were submissions, one of the submissions was due to Punches, but still that means He has KO/TKO 12 times in his Professional MMA Career

Shane Ott
    Jerry Vrbanovic

The Two wins of Big Country By Decision

4 Knock outs of the night, 1 Fight of the Night.. Big Country is putting things together, is he the next Champ.. probably not, will all his fights entertain us.. oh hell yes. Win or lose he brings a fight, and he makes it something that everyone cheers for.
    Gotta resolve the Gayness

Kongo walked away from the UFC of his own accord.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Regardless if you get knocked out by Roy Nelson in the 1st round without offering any resistance whatsoever and you are supposed to be a kickboxer then you have no place in the UFC imo. Roy is overall a very good fighter with a good killer instinct but alot of the reason he's very good is his ground game, and in my opinion you should be able to see that OH right coming a long ways away if your a "kickboxer".

Mittrione was at least doing good until he got caught, plus he took the fight on pretty short notice. Struve had only been in the UFC a little while and Roy had alot more experience than him when they fought. Dave Herman is a pretty bad fighter. Kongo, however, has alot of experience and has fought alot of good fighters. I guess he doesn't have it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Neustra View Post
    Say what you will about Big Country but Roy is not a /Mid/ Tier HW, he imo is Top Ten and is Climbing, look at the changes in his body, the changes in his Cardio and Speed, Roy is evolving his game and going past that of the fatty who after round 1 has no tank.

Cheick Kongo
    Matt Mitrione
    Dave Herman
    Mirko Filipović
    Stefan Struve
    Brendan Schaub
    Brad Imes
    Fabiano Scherner
    Antoine Jaoude
    Bryan Vetell
    Mario Rinaldi
    Vince Lucero
    Jerome Smith
    Jason Godsey
    Michael Buchkovich
    Ray Seraile
    Bo Cantrell

These are the list of people that
    He has stopped out of his 19 Wins he has 17 Stoppages... 5 of which were submissions, one of the submissions was due to Punches, but still that means He has KO/TKO 12 times in his Professional MMA Career
    Alot of other points you made that I cut out of the quote that I disagree but mainly that MMA math doesn't always work.

As far as the above stuff goes out of all those victories how many were against top 10 opponents ? I would say none of them Sure he knocks out people etc but that doesn't mean you are a top fighter just means you are fighting guys that you are better then.

Any time Roy has come up against a guy inside the top 10 he's been outworked and outclassed. His game is not really evolving all he's been doing in his entire UFC career is beating lesser ranked fighters with an overhand right. His weight was 258lbs for the last fight and he looked no better then he has in the past. We can agree to disagree but the only reason I see Roy looking better of late is the quality of his opposition not any improvements on his part.

Thread Information