+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belfort: 'I deserve a title shot'

Default Belfort: 'I deserve a title shot'

Belfort: 'I deserve a title shot' - Mixed Martial Arts News

36-years-old Vitor Belfort won the UFC light heavyweight championship in early 2004, following years of competing in that division and heavyweight. Now, nearly a decade later, he wants another shot at the middleweight title.

Belfort has proved to be a phenom at middleweight, losing only to champion Anderson Silva, and beating Yoshihiro Akiyama, Anthony Johnson, and Michael Bisping in under twleve minutes combined.

He also lost to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, after taking the fight on short notice, and nearly securing an armbar, before losing via keylock in the fourth round. In so doing, he lasted longer vs. Jones that anyone but Rashad Evans and 'Rampage' Jackson.

Belfort has been fighting in the UFC for over 16 years.

"Let me be clear, I am not looking for a rematch with anyone," Belfort told Bleacher Report recently. "What I want is the belt. It doesn’t matter who has it."

"I feel that I am starting my career right now. I feel young enough to keep fighting for a bunch more fights."

"I have been fighting and winning all the fights in my division. I think I deserve a title shot."

Belfort fights Luke Rockhold on May 28 at UFC on FX 8: Belfort vs. Rockhold.

Rockhold has been a harsh critic of Belfort's use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy, saying TRT is "a crock of s—t" and that he was "more of a man than Vitor," with "more heart than Vitor."

Belfort declined to bicker with Rockhold over the accusation, saying only "he is a great fighter... (the TRT comment) is just what he says."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Yeah being on steroids will do that to you, re: "I am starting my career right now. I feel young"....oh and no you don't deserve a title shot.

If Belfort beats Rockhold, and even better can finish him, he definitely deserves a shot. Bisping is right behind him in the pack, but Belfort has three straight at middleweight (the Jones was fight obviously at 205), and all were finishes.

I say give him one more.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

No you don't Vitor. You just had one. Share with the other kids.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

If he beats Rockhold I think he needs one more win before a title shot. Pluss he is going to have time before Anderson fights again at MW and who knows if he ends up fighting Jones. If he were to beat Luke then have him fight Okami or the winner of Jacare vs Philippou

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    If Belfort beats Rockhold, and even better can finish him, he definitely deserves a shot. Bisping is right behind him in the pack, but Belfort has three straight at middleweight (the Jones was fight obviously at 205), and all were finishes.

I say give him one more.
    I agree about belfort. I'd say if bisping really wants a title shot, have him face okami. If he can beat okami I would finally be sold on his title shot. Okami looked pretty damn impressive with his wrestling against lombard, if he can keep it up I would love to see him get another crack at the title.. I don't think Anderson would be too quick to accept it though (if he still has the title.)

I deserve a threesome with 2 Swedish girls, but that hasn't worked out yet.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

belfort needs to beat someone who is a bad matchup for him like a Chael or Okami perhaps Weidman if he fails

If he wins in dominant fashion again I dont see how you can say he doesn't deserve a shot. He will be coming off 2 straight wins over better fighters than anyone weidman has beat.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

If he beats Rockhold then yes he deserves the shot I mean who else would be deserving of it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information