Thread: Matt Hughes talks new UFC job, doesn't blame gloves for eyepokes

Default Matt Hughes talks new UFC job, doesn't blame gloves for eyepokes

Matt Hughes talks new UFC job, doesn't blame gloves for eyepokes - Bloody Elbow

The new Vice President of Athletic Development and Government Relations joined a radio show on BJPenn.com to talk about the aspects of his job, give his assessment of MMA getting legalized in New York, and share his thoughts on a few current issues in MMA. He started off by explaining the two parts of his job, the first being Athletic Development.

"Athletic Development is very new to the UFC. It could deal from everything from life before the UFC, life after the UFC, life during the UFC."

"Making someone a better athlete all the way to financial development, helping guys figure out what they’re going to do with their money they make in the UFC."

Then moved onto the second part:

"Government Relations is very easy, I’ve been doing that for years. I just try to talk positive, and answer any questions somebody had about the safety or the sport at all."

Seems fairly simple. He didn't address the UFC Code of Conduct, which Hughes apparently helped to create. But the stuff he will be doing seems like it's quite important for the organization and could be a big help to the fighters.

He then moved onto MMA's situation in New York, and he's optimistic that it will be legalized soon:

"Definitely in three years, next two years I’d say 50-50, this year I’d say 75% against it. But it will happen, there’s no doubt about it."

"UFC is always working on getting, if not legal, better rules in states for the fighters in the UFC."

Finally, he was asked about the eyepokes at UFC 159, and had a different view than most when it came to blaming the gloves currently used in MMA:

"I don’t see how you can blame it on the gloves. It comes down to the fighters making mistakes with their hands."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

The AC's need to crack down on eye pokes. I feel like MMA is the only sport where "accidental" fouls are never punished. I'm getting pretty sick of guys being loose with the rules and never getting punished. Why would someone not go for nut shots and eye pokes in a fight? There is no penalty for it, and those are some seriously damaging shots.

Zombie is born!

I think eye pokes are intentional. There's really no reason to be extending your arm out at another fighter's face with your fingers straight out. Nobody punches with their fist unclinched. Intentional. Fighters should lose a point the first time it happens.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

4. Default

I see why one would use a open hand, but agree there should be a cost to eye pokes.

These are fantastic jobs for Hughes. I think these are important roles and Matt is the perfect guy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    The AC's need to crack down on eye pokes. I feel like MMA is the only sport where "accidental" fouls are never punished. I'm getting pretty sick of guys being loose with the rules and never getting punished. Why would someone not go for nut shots and eye pokes in a fight? There is no penalty for it, and those are some seriously damaging shots.
    Especially as lately one "accidental" illegal blow seems to be leading into a barrage of legal ones. As long as the majority of the finishing blows are legal fans don't seem to care.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Thread Information