Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettis says move to featherweight ‘not permanent,’ expects ‘fireworks’ against Aldo

Default Pettis says move to featherweight ‘not permanent,’ expects ‘fireworks’ against Aldo

Anthony Pettis says move to featherweight ?not permanent,? expects ?fireworks? against Jose Aldo - MMAmania.com

"A lot of things led to my cutting down to 145," said Pettis in a recent interview with New York Post. "I was tired of waiting for a 155-pound title shot."

After getting passed over for former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez, Pettis was matched up against former World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) comrade Donald Cerrone. Anthony was able to walk right through "Cowboy," stopping him in the very first round thanks to a vicious kick to the body at UFC on FOX 6.

Soon thereafter, Pettis took a chance and asked for a title shot against Aldo via text message due to the fact that "El Nino" had already received the nod at the lightweight title against current champion Ben Henderson.

To the surprise of many, "Showtime" got his wish and was booked to swing leather against "Scarface" at UFC 163, which goes down in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Aug. 3, 2013. But, the 155-pound weight class will still have to deal with Pettis down the road because the move down to featherweight is not forever.

"It's not a permanent weight cut (to featherweight)," said Pettis. "But a striker like myself and Aldo, it doesn't really matter what weight class it happens at. It's going to be fireworks either way."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I like Pettis, but hate that he's getting an immediate title shot over guys who deserve in the FW division. So I hope Aldo wins and sends him back to LW.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

See I like the fight, just not the situation it is going to create.

If Pettis loses, does he still get his LW title shot at Henderson? If he doesn't he's pushed back in line, but if he does than it's another challenger getting a title shot coming off of a loss.

If Pettis wins, he says he'll still fight in LW. So I assume he'd get the title shot at Henderson, which would likely be near the end of the year or early next year. That means the FW title is held up until like spring at the earliest.

And on the chance he wins both titles, which would be cool, would also mean that each title will likely be defended once a year, thus creating a huge logjam in both divisions.

I like the fight, I just don't like what's coming after.

4. Default

Give him a titleshot without a fight at 145, and when he does not plan to stay at 145?

Great fuckin job on that match!!!!!!!!!
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Give him a titleshot without a fight at 145, and when he does not plan to stay at 145?

Great fuckin job on that match!!!!!!!!!
    It's like a big fuck you to all the guys who actually worked for their title shots at 145. I don't know why they give guys moving from 155 immediate priority. If the UFC wants people to take the smaller weight classes more seriously they need to treat them with some respect.

Zombie is born!

Pettis' complaint is that he was tired of waiting around for a title shot at lightweight. So he leap frogs deserving contenders at featherweight...not exactly a fan of that.

Ricardo Lamas has a better claim to a shot at FW belt than Pettis did at the LW one.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post
    Pettis' complaint is that he was tired of waiting around for a title shot at lightweight. So he leap frogs deserving contenders at featherweight...not exactly a fan of that.

Ricardo Lamas has a better claim to a shot at FW belt than Pettis did at the LW one.
    That's what I don't get. If he had waited for the LW shot, he'd be getting it about the same time as his fight with Aldo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Half the people complaining about pettis getting a shot at featherweight are happy for Cormier to drop down and fight jones immediately same thing imo

Mmanews survival pool season 1 Champion

Wow this is crazy. How did the UFC management allow this situation to develop? If Pettis wins it sounds like he's just going to vacate the title shortly after. If Aldo wins it's ok but a Pettis win is a net loss for the FW division.

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    Half the people complaining about pettis getting a shot at featherweight are happy for Cormier to drop down and fight jones immediately same thing imo
    A potential move to LHW for Cormier has been spoken of for a while now by Cormier, fans and the media. Pettis' shot came out of nowhere. Especially considering he's only doing it because he had to wait a few extra months for Henderson. Also the LHW division would appear to need a couple of fresh faces to challenge Jones (under the presumption he's going to keep winning) as that title situation could get pretty stale shortly. The FW division doesn't have that problem.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Ehh, I just can't wait to see Pettis and Aldo compete against each other.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Thread Information