Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: matt brown vs. thiago alves slated for FOX sports 1 debut card

Brown wins

I'm pretty shocked by the posts in this thread. Matt Brown sucks. He's a journeyman fighter who will always be middle of the road.

Thiago Alves was once the #1 contender. He dominated Josh Koscheck & Matt Hughes who are both far better fighters than Matt Brown will ever be.
    Now those wins were 5 years ago & Thiago hasn't been very active lately. Even so, he's only lost to top Welterweights (GSP, Fitch, Kampmann) with the exception of Rick Story. Many forget though that Story does have a win over Johny Hendricks, so even that's not a horrible loss.

The point is, that even if Alves has fallen off, more than likely he's still a hell of a lot better than Matt Brown, who was barely .500 at the end of 2010. Since then Brown's beaten absolutely no one of relevance. He's entertaining so Dana keeps giving him fights against other guys at the bottom of the roster.

Brown is a decent brawler, but Alves is a much more skilled & powerful striker. The Pitbull wins this in brutal fashion.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Matt Brown is on a 5 fight win streak and coming off a "fight of the night". Alves has lost 4 of 6 including his last one over a year ago.
    This is cherry picking their records. In the time since Alves has lost those 4 fights, Brown has 4 losses as well. Alves' losses we to better competition. One of them being a brain fart after clearly winning against Kampmann for 14 minutes. Another being a shitty decision he should have gotten against Story.

It's an exciting matchup but I don't know how much sense it actually makes.
    Recent records aside, this is the best fighter and biggest fight Brown has had. He is still taking a step up in competition over the guys he has beaten on his winning streak.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    Brown is a decent brawler, but Alves is a much more skilled & powerful striker. The Pitbull wins this in brutal fashion.
    I imagine that Brown will have the reach advantage. Thiago may have superior striking skills, but those skills will be neutralized if he's stuffed up against the fence. I think you're underselling Brown's abilities.

Big fan of both but you're crazy if you think brown wins this. Thiago has some of the best muay thai in the division. Only person to outstrike him was Gsp and that was due to the threat of the td, which matt doesn't have.

1 month ago... everyone was saying Brown had no chance again Mein.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    1 month ago... everyone was saying Brown had no chance again Mein.
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

If Thiago loses this fight he's done, hopefully he comes on weight and is ready to bash. He's very capable of knocking Brown out cold. Would love to see him win via de liver shot.

i've been wonderin where the hell thiago alves has been. this fight is fuckin awesome. this will be matt brown's third fight on fox so if he wins, it's conceivable that he would/could get a title shot as even casual fans would have an idea who he is.

i want brown to win, then again, i'd hate to see alves lose as ufc would probably cut him knowing them.

Thread Information