Gilbert Melendez:

“He’s just a super athlete, and I expected that. He had some great kicks, but I also expected that. And I expected him to bounce in and land some punches and I did my best to counter the punches and block the kicks and I never felt like I was in any danger. I never felt any anxiety or that he was running away with the fight or he was putting it on me,” Melendez told MMAWeekly content partner Knockout Radio.

“I learned a lot from the experience. I learned that next time I fight him, I’d do a lot of things differently in there.”
“I don’t want to give up my game plan, but I’ve gained confidence in the wrestling and grappling department,” he said. “I didn’t think I shot too much. I didn’t want to engage him on the ground. I felt like he might have an advantage there but I think I know now that I feel a little more confident in those positions.”

The 31-year-old will have a different game plan if they rematch at some point in the future.

“In the clinch, I felt really strong there, attempted to re-clinch him,” said Melendez. “And I don’t want to get too in depth because I might fight the guy again, but I know exactly what I would do and how I would finish him. Not finish him, but to get my hands on him and fight him a little bit better. But at the time, I had my game plan, I stuck to it, and I thought it was enough.”