Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettis up for 'easy payday' fight with Diaz

Default Pettis up for 'easy payday' fight with Diaz

Pettis up for 'easy payday' fight with Diaz - Mixed Martial Arts News

In his immediate future Anthony Pettis will have a world title fight with featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Pettis however has already stated that he will return to the lightweight division and it seems he would entertain a bout with Nate Diaz who recently called him out in an interview:

"I heard his interview and it just makes me laugh. I mean, the guy just got head kick knocked out by a pretty good striker, but for him to call me out it's funny to me because my striking is one of the best in the lightweight division.

I think he's trying to keep his name relevant and trying to stay in the mix, but I mean after losing like that it's - there's not much more you can do in the lightweight division. I think he's going to be moving back to welterweight and again, the comments are funny to me and if he does want to fight I'll take an easy payday."

I've always liked Pettis...until he got an immediate title shot at FW...

Hope Aldo sends him back to LW.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

So you don't like him for being offered a great opportunity, and taking it? That's pretty silly.

5. Default

he better worry about Aldo
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    So you don't like him for being offered a great opportunity, and taking it? That's pretty silly.
    Exactly. Be mad at the UFC not Aldo (hate the game not the player). I for one look at it both ways: I am really excited for it b/c it is going to be a hell of a fight and I think it is silly b/c there are very worthy challengers to Aldo's belt. Not sure why anyone would be mad at Aldo. Should he have said no?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Exactly. Be mad at the UFC not Aldo (hate the game not the player). I for one look at it both ways: I am really excited for it b/c it is going to be a hell of a fight and I think it is silly b/c there are very worthy challengers to Aldo's belt. Not sure why anyone would be mad at Aldo. Should he have said no?
    He did say no at first. There was an interview where Aldo was upset that Pettis was getting a shot when FW had a few worthy challengers. Aldo is against guys winning in another division and coming up or down to get a free shot at a title.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    He did say no at first. There was an interview where Aldo was upset that Pettis was getting a shot when FW had a few worthy challengers. Aldo is against guys winning in another division and coming up or down to get a free shot at a title.
    Sorry I meant pettis.

9. Default

I'm all for earning a title shot, But I do see the problem in finding a contender people know to fight Aldo. It's a shame with a champ that has all this talent for many not to notice him due to nobody with any recognition. So this goes against my grain by saying Pettis is a good choice for Aldo. Simply because Aldo deserves some big draw fights as he's more than up held his side.
    As Tbear said to Pettis worry about Aldo before talking Daiz.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    on one hand, it's hard not to be hypocritical in calling someone a sell out unless you've been offered the same deal they took and your sense of integrity caused you to turn it down.

On the other hand, Pettis lobbied for this fight. It's not as though dana called him in the middle of the night and tricked him into it. He's stated he wants to be a two-belt champ at the same time, blah blah blah. He was looking for the opportunity, it wasn't looking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I agree with Aldo. It's a bullshit precedent.

As far as Aldo goes, this will be the third elite-level LW who has dropped down to face him--and the second who hasn't even had to earn a shot within his division. Think about that for a moment...people are freaked out about the concept of Cormier getting a shot at Jones...what if he'd already had to defend against Mir and JDS and Daniel was getting a shot? Anyone who doesn't have Aldo as top 3 p4p doesn't know what they're talking about.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Thread Information