Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pettis up for 'easy payday' fight with Diaz

I respect Nate's spirit in calling out Pettis when he is right off a headkick knockout loss.

I do not think Pettis is a good fight for Nate right now. He would swarm and overwhelm Nate with kicks from head to toe.

I'd still love to see the fight in the future but Nate needs a win which I don't think he'd find in Pettis right now.

Good footwork might be Nate's worst enemy. That's one reason Pettis would kill him.

I don't like that Pettis is getting an immediate title shot in a new division, but as I fight fan, I can't wait to see it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be fight of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'd love to see it, and I'd be rooting for the 209.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    on one hand, it's hard not to be hypocritical in calling someone a sell out unless you've been offered the same deal they took and your sense of integrity caused you to turn it down.

On the other hand, Pettis lobbied for this fight. It's not as though dana called him in the middle of the night and tricked him into it. He's stated he wants to be a two-belt champ at the same time, blah blah blah. He was looking for the opportunity, it wasn't looking for him.

I agree with Aldo. It's a bullshit precedent.

As far as Aldo goes, this will be the third elite-level LW who has dropped down to face him--and the second who hasn't even had to earn a shot within his division. Think about that for a moment...people are freaked out about the concept of Cormier getting a shot at Jones...what if he'd already had to defend against Mir and JDS and Daniel was getting a shot? Anyone who doesn't have Aldo as top 3 p4p doesn't know what they're talking about.

rh
    While he shouldn't get an immediate shot, in this world if its offered to you, you better take it. It would be foolish not too. The ufc shouldn't give it to him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't take it... And as far as Cormier getting a shot at jones? He hasn't earned it IMO... But if the ufc was gonna hand it to him, he should take it. Those guys are on a time limit, they can't do this shit forever, when opportunity comes along you have to jump on it. It's up to the ufc to keep the integrity of the sport intact when it comes to match making, and up to the fighters to do the same in the cage, and in their public image. I imagine if I was elite level guy, I'd be calling out champions in weight classes I didn't belong in too. Lol. But then again, in my line of work I've taken money from pimps that just got paid by one of their -ahem- employees... So I might not be the best moral barometer. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    While he shouldn't get an immediate shot, in this world if its offered to you, you better take it. It would be foolish not too. The ufc shouldn't give it to him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't take it... And as far as Cormier getting a shot at jones? He hasn't earned it IMO... But if the ufc was gonna hand it to him, he should take it. Those guys are on a time limit, they can't do this shit forever, when opportunity comes along you have to jump on it.
    What you're missing is their active, intentional input before the offer. Both Cormier and Pettis asked for the unearned shots.

That's a bit different than something simply falling it their laps, they lobbied for it.

that's where the integrity issue falls squarely on them.

It's up to the ufc to keep the integrity of the sport intact when it comes to match making
    ...and that, right there, is the saddest half-sentence I've read in a while. And I read Faulkner recently.

...and up to the fighters to do the same in the cage, and in their public image.
    I think many people are fine with a fighter doing anything as long as he's not breaking the law. I think that elite athletes--really, anyone with any type of endorsement--are role models the minute they accept money to promote a product. I'd like to see role models have above-averae integrity.

I'm craxy like that.

I imagine if I was elite level guy, I'd be calling out champions in weight classes I didn't belong in too. Lol. But then again, in my line of work I've taken money from pimps that just got paid by one of their -ahem- employees... So I might not be the best moral barometer. Haha
    well, at least you admit it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I think Nate bit off way more than he could chew...but then again he's still young maybe he's been working on evolving his style, learning some kickboxing, some take downs that would allow him to utilize a top game......oh wait it's a Diaz brother. Never mind............
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Thread Information