Thread: Tim Sylvia vs. Tony Johnson Jr. Reportedly Booked For ONE FC: 'Rise to Power' prelimi

Default Tim Sylvia vs. Tony Johnson Jr. Reportedly Booked For ONE FC: 'Rise to Power' prelimi

Tim Sylvia vs. Tony Johnson Jr. Reportedly Booked For ONE FC: 'Rise to Power' preliminary card - MMAmania.com

Asia's biggest mixed martial arts (MMA) organization has just added a "big" fight to the preliminary card of ONE FC: "Rise to Power," in the form of a heavyweight match-up betweem Tim Sylvia and Tony Johnson for the May 31 event in Manila.

Sylvia (31-8-1) has already appeared once for ONE FC in a fight which ended in ignominy after an illegal soccer kick from Andrei Arlovski resulted in the referee declaring a "no contest." The two-time UFC champion will be hoping for a more satisfactory conclusion to his second trip to Manila when he takes on highly rated wrestler Tony Johnson Jr. (6-1).

Rated as one of the best heavyweight prospects in the world, Johnson's career has not progressed at the expected rate due to the infrequent nature of his fights. Sylvia will be just the third opponent he has faced in three years. A star wrestler who has also enjoyed success on the American football field, his only career loss came at the hands of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier in 2010.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I haven't seen Johnson in a long fucking while, but I've been following him closely since he beat Tony Lopez and ended his impressive winning streak. The lone loss to Cormier was a case of a raw prospect getting outgrappled by another raw prospect with insane wrestling cred, but Johnson is a helluva athlete. I'm tentative to pick him here, if only because it's been such a long while.

Definitely a "prospect to watch", but I'm curious as to how he looks today.

AA/TS 4 sucked!

Sylvia prolly will come out looking like Roy Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Sylvia prolly will come out looking like Roy Nelson.
    Minus the skill, of course.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Anyone else find it hilarious that he's on the PRELIMS?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

what the hell does any of that say?

Does any of what say ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Timmay... from campaigning to get back into the UFC to being in the prelims at One FC... next thing you'll know, he'll be fighting Bob Sapp... or Ken Shamrock...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginmortal View Post
    Timmay... from campaigning to get back into the UFC to being in the prelims at One FC...
    Never cared for Sylvia as a fighter or just his attitude. I think Fedor really sent this guy in a downward spiral and he has neither the self motivation nor support system around him to clean up and seriously compete. If he was remotely serious about making it back into the UFC then you'd see a more conditioned and prepared fighter. I do not believe he actually trains any longer and probably just hits a heavy bag from time to time. No way I could be convinced he's putting in any type of training camp and/or attempt to present himself as a professional fighter.

We all have bills to pay and mouths to feed so hopefully he can continue to do that while fighting or working at Kroger. [and there's nothing wrong with working at Kroger]

Thread Information