Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyborg passed on chance to fight Ronda Rousey over money, not weight

Default Cyborg passed on chance to fight Ronda Rousey over money, not weight

Cris Cyborg passed on chance to fight Ronda Rousey over money, not weight - Bloody Elbow

Mike Chiappetta revealed last week that Cris Cyborg and her management team, including UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz, passed on the chance to face Ronda Rousey in the first-ever UFC women's bout at UFC 157 in February.

Ortiz was so frustrated with the situation that he requested, and secured, Cyborg's release from her UFC contract to fight for Invicta FC at 145 pounds. Chiappetta explains the situation:

While (match weight) was at the center of most conversations in the media regarding the inability to make the Cyborg-Rousey fight, it was not the deal-breaker it's been reported to be.

During the ongoing negotiations, which lingered for about two months, the promotion agreed to pay for the services of a dieting and nutrition consultant like Dolce. But there were other points that the two sides could not agree on.

The biggest issue, according to Cyborg's management firm Primetime 360, was Zuffa treating Cyborg as a bit player rather than an event co-star.

Dave Meltzer commented in the subscription only Wrestling Observer:

The problem is, and this is huge, is that after Cyborg beat Carano, Cyborg's subsequent fights garnered very little interest. It surprised me seeing how big the Carano fight was, the reaction, the ratings, the attendance, etc. While Carano was clearly the star, one would have thought Cyborg would have come out of such a big win on the first women's main event that set record Showtime MMA ratings as a big star herself. There are obvious conclusions you can draw as to why that didn't happen, but I think UFC recognizes that it didn't.

Rousey vs. Cyborg can be promoted with the UFC's marketing behind it as the biggest women's fight in history and insiders may feel Cyborg is still the best fighter, although the steroid issue as it pertains to this fight is huge. Because women don't produce the level of testosterone as men, a woman on steroids has far more of a competitive edge against someone clean than a man would under the same circumstances. We can all play pretend, but Cyborg did fail a test, and even if she hadn't, photos of Brazilian handball star Cristiane Justino and fighter Cris Cyborg can challenge any before-and-after Barry Bonds photos.

Cyborg did pass all her tests prior to her Invicta fight last month, and she was tested during some of her other fights. But given the nature and limitations of testing when you know in advance when you are tested, that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Today, Cyborg on the outside is not nearly the star that Liz Carmouche or Miesha Tate are. But if she signs with UFC, she will be. One can only argue, and this is a valid one, that her management should have come up with a long-term battle plan for her to naturally get her bodyweight to 145-150, where the cut to 135 wouldn't be harsh. She would lose muscle and strength, but that's part of the game, and it's hard for people to have sympathy because of the belief of how she got that much muscle and strength. I can recall talking to Marloes Coenen, after she had come-from-behind to beat Carmouche, and she was remarking that Carmouche was deceptively strong. "But not Cyborg strong," noting Cyborg had the strength of the male fighters she's trained with.

Meltzer also points out that while Tito Ortiz managed to make a lot of money playing hardball with the UFC, he had the leverage of competing promotions to pit against them in a bidding war. That situation does not exist in WMMA and likely never will.

2. Default

Cyborg beats every woman on the UFC roster. The only one that even puts up a fight is Ronda (and Ronda can beat Cyborg but I do not think it would happen)

Edit Ronda has a chance the more I think about it but I would still take Cyborg
    Last edited by TBEAR; 05-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

"The biggest issue, according to Cyborg's management firm Primetime 360, was Zuffa treating Cyborg as a bit player rather than an event co-star."

Almost anyone Ronda faces will be a "bit player" rather than an event co-star. The UFC built this division for Ronda, and she is their bank. I don't see them legitimately building up another female fighter the same way they have with Ronda. A loss or if even Ronda loses interest in fighting means this division will come to a fold, irregardless of how hard the other women work to get their name up.

I disagree.

They would have ran tape of Cyborg thrashing chicks for a month and a half solid and built her into a co-star very quickly.

She deserves a co-main event role but she should certainly consider that her value took a hit due to the positive test.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I'm shocked that we didn't get a full story till now. Ortiz and dana are such paragon's of virtue, I can't believe they'd willfully misdirect the public like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I disagree.

They would have ran tape of Cyborg thrashing chicks for a month and a half solid and built her into a co-star very quickly.
    is that something dana would want?

dana doesn't want to confuse simple fans with any muddy water. He want them to see Rhonda as the mostest beatiful and talented female fighter eva. Anything else cuts into his overhead.

She deserves a co-main event role but she should certainly consider that her value took a hit due to the positive test.
    that's essentially why I question whether she's p4p better than Rousey. She's certainly more well-rounded, a more complete fighter, and more dangerous. But I don't know how much augmentation plays a role there.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Cyborg beats every woman on the UFC roster. The only one that even puts up a fight is Ronda (and Ronda can beat Cyborg but I do not think it would happen)

Edit Ronda has a chance the more I think about it but I would still take Cyborg
    Ya, and Jon Jones would destroy everyone at MW except maybe Anderson. Let's see Cyborg at 135 lbs and still destroying people.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    that's essentially why I question whether she's p4p better than Rousey. She's certainly more well-rounded, a more complete fighter, and more dangerous. But I don't know how much augmentation plays a role there.

rh
    Have you seen Cyborg's first fight since the suspension? She gave her opponent a thrashing, easily knocking her down in the first few seconds, and just controlling the entire fight, until the ref stopped it with a TKO victory for Cyborg.

Now granted it wasn't a top level fighter but Cyborg did display the same fight in her when she was on steroids. As I've stated before, if Cyborg can prove "She's certainly a more well-rounded, a more complete fighter, and more dangerous fighter" without the enhancements, perhaps some of her integrity will be restored and fans will begin pushing Ronda and Dana to fight Cyborg to prove who is the better fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Now granted it wasn't a top level fighter but Cyborg did display the same fight in her when she was on steroids. As I've stated before, if Cyborg can prove "She's certainly a more well-rounded, a more complete fighter, and more dangerous fighter" without the enhancements, perhaps some of her integrity will be restored and fans will begin pushing Ronda and Dana to fight Cyborg to prove who is the better fighter.
    Yeah, but that needs to happen against better competition.

If Tito were smart--and if Santos is actually clean--they'd have already invested in regular testing on two week intervals throughout the next year, and would ask for VADA or Olympic level testing for their next fight.

The MMA community can be pretty forgiving, and for Santos to be a star again, she needs credibility, and that's only going to come with time and graphic proof that she's clean. If she shows a year of clean test results taken successively without any time to cycle on/off anything and still beats top competition, it's a HUGE jump in credibility--worth far more than the cost of taking the tests. If she asks for increased testing through a training camp, she's got the opportunity to flip her reputation back to positive. She's clearly got the skills, now she just needs to remove doubt about her character.

I don't think dana wants anything to do with her. She's dangerous, without being a media darling or selling a lot of fights [kind of like Werdum was]. She has to maneuver herself into a position where there is no doubt about her being clean and where she's the only logical fight left--to a point where people accuse Rousey of ducking if she isn't asking to face her. A year of clean, credible tests is a huge first step for that.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't think dana wants anything to do with her. She's dangerous, without being a media darling or selling a lot of fights [kind of like Werdum was]. She has to maneuver herself into a position where there is no doubt about her being clean and where she's the only logical fight left--to a point where people accuse Rousey of ducking if she isn't asking to face her. A year of clean, credible tests is a huge first step for that.

rh
    Exactly what I've stated in the past. IF Cyborg can legitimately prove herself in the next couple of fights that she is still a dangerous fighter, while fighting clean, media and the MMA community will be singing her praises and clamoring for a fight with Ronda. Now IF Ronda is REALLY about being the best female fighter ever, she should get upset that media and the MMA community have Cyborg as the better fighter and Ronda is avoiding the matchup. She will have to call out Cyborg (kinda like how Cyborg was for the past year) and she and Dana may have to open up to Cyborg's demands, i.e weight limit and such.

I think just passing a couple drug tests and winning the next couple fights won't be enough to convince detractors, though. The spectre of cycling on and off in time to be tested will be there, much like it still is with Overeem. Regular tests over the course of a year and high performance against top opponents [AO lacks both] would do a lot to dispell even entrenched concerns.

Unless he knows she's cycling, Tito is a fool for not advocating this.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Thread Information