Thread: Georges St. Pierre says he's motivated by fear as he enters the cage

Default Georges St. Pierre says he's motivated by fear as he enters the cage

Georges St. Pierre says he's motivated by fear as he enters the cage - Bloody Elbow

So when you're walking to the cage, about to face off with someone else that wants to take your belt and everything you've worked for, do you feel confident? Excited? Relaxed? According to the man himself in an interesting interview with Inside MMA, that's not what GSP is thinking. In fact, it's fear that is at the top of the list:

"Iím scared. Before a fight, I doubt about myself. Iím scared."

"I try to be confident, but deep down inside, Iím afraid. Iím afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. Thatís why Iím afraid."

Fighting is a pretty macho thing, and you don't often hear grown men admit that they might be scared of something. But GSP, who was on the show promoting his New York Times bestselling book The Way of the Fight, makes it clear that it's not the guy across the cage that he's afraid of:

"Itís not really being afraid of my opponent. Iím afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think itís the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

His fear has a name.. Its Matt Serra and his cinderblock fists!

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    His fear has a name.. Its Matt Serra and his cinderblock fists!
    Clever.

How about being afraid of finishing fights.

How about being afraid of aliens ..

Don't make fun of him guys. GSP has time-lapse episodes where he hypothetically could be having pansexual encounters with aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    [Them aliens] just missing that super athlete dick.

better be scared of big rig aka ya next welterweight champion OF THE WORLD.

I can respect this. GSP is a complicated dude, sometimes it helps him, and sometimes it hurts him. When you put a lot of thought into what you are doing, you are gonna be well prepared, but you probably aren't gonna take alot of risks. I've always thought a win is a win. If your opponent is well prepared and of a fairly similar skill level, the fight will be exciting (usually) due to the back and forth exchanges. If your opponent is lacking some tools, expose them, embarrass them, and move on. It is not your job to make them fun to watch, and if they can't stop a takedown or stand back up then they are the one that is boring.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I actually think that probably about 95% of fighters are scared before a fight. It is an absolute natural reaction.

The thing is to be able to perform your best under those stresful conditions. And I think GSP does that very very well. He does not finish fights, but he absolutely dominates his opponents.
    Carlos Condit was the most competitive opponent in recent years and still, GSP clearly defeated him.

It is obvious that he trains like an animal, and when you come that well prepared, you have good performances, even if you are scared.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information