Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liddell speaks out against UFC fighters avoiding the finish just to secure a win

Default Liddell speaks out against UFC fighters avoiding the finish just to secure a win

Chuck Liddell speaks out against UFC fighters avoiding the finish just to secure a win - MMAmania.com

And he's not just a UFC Hall-of-Famer calling shots from his couch, he's the promotion's new Vice President of Business Development and he wants to develop a more exciting product.

From his conversation with U-T San Diego:

"I'd really have to talk to the guys to see if that's really what they're doing. I see it like guys are trying a lot more to just get their win so they can get their next fight. When we were doing it, it was a lot more about just going out and fighting. I hate hearing in a UFC corner ‘you won the first four rounds, just stay away from him this round.' The guy doesn't have a knockout punch, hasn't taken you down the whole fight, why do you have to go be afraid of him? Go out and win! Make it exciting, go knock him out, finish the fight."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Spoken like a true warrior. Say what you will about Chuck, but at least the man went out on his shield.

Same thing that happens in every other sport. Protecting the lead.

If you lose we will probably cut you, buuuuuuuuut you should take chances...
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I agree with everything except
    When we were doing it, it was a lot more about just going out and fighting.
    Sure, there were some guys that came to fight but there were a lot of shitty fights from that era and even shittier before it.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation IMO. Take the Schaub route, you keep your job and get another fight in the division. Flipside, look at Kurt Holobaugh, who had a helluva fight with Siler and got cut despite taking the fucking fight on short notice for the injured Hettes.

Unless they want to come out(unofficially) and say, "Hey if you get finished after the second round, we will take your overall performance into consideration and not regard it as harshly as a 30-27 UD loss that might be more dull, because you tried to make it exciting", I could see the argument to put your ass out there, but at what point to you start wavering perilously close to worked-shoots to give the fans the most excitement.

Wonder why the interviewer didn't poke around into what Chuck's stance on new gloves are lol.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Spoken like a true warrior. Say what you will about Chuck, but at least the man went out on his shield.
    ...except for the time that he finally fought Wandi, then checked the clock in the third, went for the takedown and rode out the decision.

I have no interest in hearing this from Liddell. Granted, that fight was 4 years too late, but it was a bullshit way to end the clash of two legends. It's not as disgusting as if Greg Jackson or someone was yelling at him to do it, but it was a heartbreaker, nonetheless.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...except for the time that he finally fought Wandi, then checked the clock in the third, went for the takedown and rode out the decision.

I have no interest in hearing this from Liddell. Granted, that fight was 4 years too late, but it was a bullshit way to end the clash of two legends. It's not as disgusting as if Greg Jackson or someone was yelling at him to do it, but it was a heartbreaker, nonetheless.

rh
    Chuck was trying to knock him out alot of times in that fight, but he couldnt, so he took him down in the last seconds of the fight. There is a difference between securing the win and fight every fight just to get the W.
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    great point EXCEPT that Chuck did go for the finish, and in particular the KO in RD 1, RD 2, and RD 3. When he couldnt get the finish and ran out of gas trying THEN he went for the take down because he knew he made himself ripe for the KO by blowing his wad. To say that Chuck road out the last round looking for the win is way off base and a little bit of revisionist history. I would expect better from you Riv. Its not like tried to take Wandy down and hold him RD 3, nor did he run from him in RD 3. You are talking about the last 10 seconds when a fighter was tired from trying to finish.

A little easier for Chuck to say... Him and Dana have been boys since way back, Dana would never have cut Chuck. Plus, Chuck rose to his status in a less competitive atmosphere than these younger fighters are facing today.

With that said, Chuck definitely went out on his shield.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information