Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liddell speaks out against UFC fighters avoiding the finish just to secure a win

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Rode out the decision in a fight he was winning? Like others have said, this is a revisionist way of looking at things.

Chuck was throwing BOMBS at Wandy the whole fight.
    The hell he was. He did go for the take down as Riv said. I remember that fight like it happened yesterday.

He could have stood and continued banging but hey its MMA right? I could just as easily call Randy Couture a coward for going for the take down against JT.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitts View Post
    Chuck was trying to knock him out alot of times in that fight, but he couldnt, so he took him down in the last seconds of the fight. There is a difference between securing the win and fight every fight just to get the W.
    As I said, there is a difference between that and what's going on today, where so many fighters go in looking for the decision. But it still rings empty coming from Liddell. To me, at least...but everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    great point EXCEPT that Chuck did go for the finish, and in particular the KO in RD 1, RD 2, and RD 3. When he couldnt get the finish and ran out of gas trying THEN he went for the take down because he knew he made himself ripe for the KO by blowing his wad. To say that Chuck road out the last round looking for the win is way off base and a little bit of revisionist history. I would expect better from you Riv. Its not like tried to take Wandy down and hold him RD 3, nor did he run from him in RD 3. You are talking about the last 10 seconds when a fighter was tired from trying to finish.
    How is it revisionist history? Did I say he was looking for the decision the whole fight? No. I said he looked at the clock, shot and rode out the decision. That's exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Rode out the decision in a fight he was winning?
    I had Chuck in R1, Wandi in R2. Chuck had an early push in R3 but it was a close enough round where the takedown was what decided the fight.

Like others have said, this is a revisionist way of looking at things.
    Again, how was it revisionist?

Chuck was throwing BOMBS at Wandy the whole fight.
    How many bombs did he throw in the last 25 seconds? Or is that not part of the "whole" fight?

Again, I'm not accusing Liddell of being Bisping, or Edgar, or Clay Guida or one of a host of fighters who don't look to finish. I'm not even accusing him of being Georges, who is is capable of the finish, but too conservative to commit. I'm not even saying he didn't go out on his shield.

But I am saying it was a shitty ending to a fight I'd waited 5 years to see--and one I had Liddell winning going into it. And that ending makes him criticizing other fighters--fighters in a different era, and without the special relationship Chuck enjoys with dana--ring a bit hollow for me. If you guys want to keep him on a pedestal and gaze upon him with rose-colored glasses, be my guest.

But saying he looked at the clock--he did--and chose to shoot for a TD--again, he did--because it was a safer option than standing with Wandi--and it was--and then rode out the rest of the round without "throwing bombs"--because he didn't--is anything but revisionist history.

Do I wish there were more Chuck Liddell's today and less Guida/Bisping/Edgar types? Absolutely, and I'm not denying that. I just thought that particular statement rang hollow.

EDIT: Oh great. Now you jackasses have made Roaddawg agree with me.
    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

The one thing that sticks with me from the Chuck/Wand bout is when Chuck got dropped near the end of the round and how Wand retrospectively wishes he'd have pounced....

I remember being really PO'd at Chuck during the third, since he wasn't giving Wand looks on the feet that Wand would probably need to win the fight and was taking him to the mat to avoid the trades. I think it's fair to say that Chuck chose not to exchange on the feet with Wand as much in the third and played it safer by grappling him.

4. Default

Times change today the UFC is looking to thin it's roster. So it's easier to get cut. Not that I'm for safe fighting, but can understand it.

It's so nice to see Roaddawg and Riv as buddies

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Times change today the UFC is looking to thin it's roster. So it's easier to get cut. Not that I'm for safe fighting, but can understand it.

It's so nice to see Roaddawg and Riv as buddies

Found a portrait of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...except for the time that he finally fought Wandi, then checked the clock in the third, went for the takedown and rode out the decision.

I have no interest in hearing this from Liddell. Granted, that fight was 4 years too late, but it was a bullshit way to end the clash of two legends. It's not as disgusting as if Greg Jackson or someone was yelling at him to do it, but it was a heartbreaker, nonetheless.

rh
    I wasn't upset by that at all, in fact I thought it was cool to see Chuck use an element in his game we hadn't seen him use (takedowns).

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    If you lose we will probably cut you, buuuuuuuuut you should take chances...
    I agree with this statement times 2.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.