Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demian Maia to Face Josh Koscheck [WUT] at UFC 163 in Rio on August 3rd

Default Demian Maia to Face Josh Koscheck [WUT] at UFC 163 in Rio on August 3rd

Report: Demian Maia to Face Josh Koscheck [WUT] at UFC 163 in Rio on August 3rd - Cagepotato

Far be it from us to accuse UFC matchmaker and noted “mean little f*cker” Joe Silva of phoning it in, but when rumors started to circulate that former middleweight title challenger and reborn welterweight Demian Maia would be facing former welterweight title challenger Josh Koscheck, we balked at the idea. Balked I tell you! Sure, Koscheck’s a seasoned veteran, perennial contender, and world-renowned motorboater, but in what universe does it make sense to have a guy on a two-fight losing skid fight a guy on a three-fight winning streak? This one, apparently.

Brazilian outlet NewsMMA was the first to report the matchup, which has since been confirmed by both fighters Sherdog pages.
    And onto the conspiracy theories:

What possible motivation could the UFC have for booking this fight? And then, it all became so clear. The UFC is severing its ties with Josh Koscheck.

Don’t buy it? Well, let’s just take a little trip down memory lane, shall we?

As we all know, the UFC’s current roster is about 100 fighters heavy — this is according to none other than UFC President Dana White. In an attempt to right the ship, the promotion has resorted to several mass firings over the past few months, mass firings that have left half the lot of TUF 17 contestants, unofficial Zuffa political advisor Jacob Volkmann, and the likes of Terry Etim and Paul Sass (among others) in the dust.

Also claimed by the great deluge of 2013 was former welterweight title challenger Jon Fitch, who was seemingly tossed out like yesterday’s trash after spending upwards of seven years with the promotion. Here’s what Dana White had to say about the “super f*cking expensive” AKA product when attempting to explain the reasoning behind his departure:

Jon Fitch was ranked number nine, OK, however you want to look at that, he’s ranked number nine, whether it’s right or wrong or the rankings are bullshit or whatever. Ranked number nine right now. Now, this isn’t a case where Jon Fitch was ranked No. 9, No. 7, No. 6, No. 4, No. 2 and then we cut him. He was ranked No. 1, fought for the title and then he was ranked No. 2. He was ranked No. 3, 6, 7, and now he’s 9. That’s called the downside of your career. He’s on the downside… He’s super f—ing expensive.

If a #9 ranked, former welterweight title challenger with a 2-2-1 record in his past 5 fights who makes $66,000 to show is “too expensive” and on the “downside” of his career, then how do you think DW will view Koscheck — the #10 ranked welterweight who makes $78,000 to show and is 2-3 in his last 5 — should he drop a third straight fight to Maia? And why, for that matter, would the UFC set up what is essentially a lose-lose matchup for Maia at this point?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Meh, if Koscheck wins hopefully it's in some sort of convincing fashion, but I think he will just go back to pure wrestling mode and try to decision this fight..Dangerous game-plan with Maia but Koscheck is a tough task for anyone. Maia unanimous decision, Maia will use his sweeps and bottom attack going to get him the fight I believe.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Dude above me, I disagree.

Koscheck has lost his competitive flame. He just looks like a guy ready to retire.

Maia stops him in the first.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, it’s a fun thing to do."

4. Default

Maia "the AKA destroyer" beats Kos
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Dude above me. I agree.

You da man T.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by cpac77 View Post

Koscheck has lost his competitive flame. He just looks like a guy ready to retire.
    GSP took his soul.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

They don't need a conspiracy to get rid of Koscheck. If they wanted him out, losing to Lawler in that fashion is a good enough reason (by UFC standards). Especially since it really seems like Kos has lost that edge, as has been noted.

Stylistically, it's not the worst fight. It will be entertainig in and of itself, but I really wanted Maia to get a top 5 to advance the title picture. Someone like Ellenberger or I suppose Rory Mac.

8. Default

I believe Kos has lost his edge, and they can fire him if they want. Kos will draw paying fans may be more paying to see him lose though. It's about the money if Kos can make the UFC huge money than he stays, but a lose here should take him out of the big draw thus= gets fired with a loss.

Maia will stop it in the first then Kos can go with his buddy Fitch to WSOF.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

1. Chances are no one at WW wants to fight Maia right now and Koscheck was the only guy that said I will do it. Say what you will about Kos the guy has never backed down from anyone.

2. Don't write Koscheck off just because of what happened with Fitch. Koscheck has way better takedown defense then Fitch. GSP whose takedown % is around 75 was only able to land 30% of his takedowns on Koscheck when he only had one eye. Hendricks only landed 25% of his takedowns on Kos, Johnson didn't sniff a takedown. Kos' takedown defense is arugably one of the best in all of MMA and Maia will be hard pressed to score a takedown on him. Which means the fight could remain standing for a long period of time and that goes right into Kos' favor.

Prediction: Koscheck via TKO in the 1st. Ruining everyone's plans for Maia.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Thread Information