Jake Shields Returns to 170 to Finish Tyron Woodley, Wants Back in the UFC Title Mix | MMAWeekly.com

Ill most likely stay at 170. Ive been back-and-forth between welterweight and middleweight, Shields recently told video journalist Rick Lee. Ive actually been successful at middleweight, but these guys are so big. I have a hard time. I walk around at 190 and Im fighting these guys, a lot of them come down from 210. When you get in the cage and feel it, theyre just a little stronger than me, bigger frame.

Overall, I hate cutting weight, but 170 is probably my best weight.

Despite being fined and suspended for testing positive for a banned substance and having his decision win over Ed Herman overturned to a no contest, Shields expected a higher ranked opponent.

I was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley, he said. I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald. I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think hes ranked tenth, somewhere around there. Hes coming off a big knockout, so hes certainly a worthy opponent, so cant complain about the fight.

Hes a tough guy, great wrestler, an All-American wrestler, heavy hands, Shields continued. Hes a tough guy, but I think Ive got a lot more experience and just advantages everywhere. Striking, I think I can beat him. I think I can beat him on the ground. I think I can tap him; better conditioning. I feel like its my time. I want to go out there and bring a lot of pressure and break him.
I think Its very important for me. I need to go out there and win the fight. But not only win, I need to finish him and try to put on an exciting fight and try to show that I am out there and try to get my name back in title contention, he said. I want to get my name back out there right now and have them start talking about me fighting for the title again.

The 34-year-old didnt give a specific prediction for the fights outcome, but was adamant that he will be gunning to finish Woodley.

I dont want to give an exact prediction, but I plan on going out there and finishing him. I dont want this to go the distance. Im not just happy with winning this fight. I want to go out there and win by either knockout or submission.