+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Shields Returns to 170 to Finish Tyron Woodley, Wants Back in the UFC Title Mix

Default Jake Shields Returns to 170 to Finish Tyron Woodley, Wants Back in the UFC Title Mix

Jake Shields Returns to 170 to Finish Tyron Woodley, Wants Back in the UFC Title Mix | MMAWeekly.com

Ill most likely stay at 170. Ive been back-and-forth between welterweight and middleweight, Shields recently told video journalist Rick Lee. Ive actually been successful at middleweight, but these guys are so big. I have a hard time. I walk around at 190 and Im fighting these guys, a lot of them come down from 210. When you get in the cage and feel it, theyre just a little stronger than me, bigger frame.

Overall, I hate cutting weight, but 170 is probably my best weight.

Despite being fined and suspended for testing positive for a banned substance and having his decision win over Ed Herman overturned to a no contest, Shields expected a higher ranked opponent.

I was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley, he said. I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald. I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think hes ranked tenth, somewhere around there. Hes coming off a big knockout, so hes certainly a worthy opponent, so cant complain about the fight.

Hes a tough guy, great wrestler, an All-American wrestler, heavy hands, Shields continued. Hes a tough guy, but I think Ive got a lot more experience and just advantages everywhere. Striking, I think I can beat him. I think I can beat him on the ground. I think I can tap him; better conditioning. I feel like its my time. I want to go out there and bring a lot of pressure and break him.
    I think Its very important for me. I need to go out there and win the fight. But not only win, I need to finish him and try to put on an exciting fight and try to show that I am out there and try to get my name back in title contention, he said. I want to get my name back out there right now and have them start talking about me fighting for the title again.

The 34-year-old didnt give a specific prediction for the fights outcome, but was adamant that he will be gunning to finish Woodley.

I dont want to give an exact prediction, but I plan on going out there and finishing him. I dont want this to go the distance. Im not just happy with winning this fight. I want to go out there and win by either knockout or submission.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It still has not come to light which drug Jake Shields tested positive for.

was a little surprised (at getting) Tyron Woodley,” he said. “I was hoping to fight someone in the top five, like (Jake) Ellenberger again or (Carlos) Condit or Rory MacDonald. I was hoping to get one of those huge names, but Tyron Woodley is a respectable opponent. I think he’s ranked tenth, somewhere around there.
    I absolutely have Woodley ranked higher then Shields right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

What is Jake's UFC record? I am trying to wrap my head around why he expects a top 5 opponent.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    What is Jake's UFC record? I am trying to wrap my head around why he expects a top 5 opponent.
    2-2 1 NC

Nothing special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Horrid matchup for Shields IMO. Ever since he came back down to fight in the UFC at WW after he'd packed on all that muscle for his MW run, he's been a shell of himself, just emaciated and drained. Then his father passes away and he does the Ellenberger fight and gets smashed and now, roughly a year since he's last fought, he's going up against a power wrestler? Damn. I've got T-Wood in a total routing and a name under his belt as they build his ever improving name at WW.

Jake's 2-2-1 since joining the UFC with the snoozer against Akiyama and the gift decision against Kampmann to show for it due to pissing dirty on whatever against Herman at MW. Hopefully, the time off means he's been able to settle back down to 170 and feels good with the cut, but I don't see this being a good night for Jake....

Battle of the Blankets!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Horrid matchup for Shields IMO. Ever since he came back down to fight in the UFC at WW after he'd packed on all that muscle for his MW run, he's been a shell of himself, just emaciated and drained. Then his father passes away and he does the Ellenberger fight and gets smashed and now, roughly a year since he's last fought, he's going up against a power wrestler? Damn. I've got T-Wood in a total routing and a name under his belt as they build his ever improving name at WW.

Jake's 2-2-1 since joining the UFC with the snoozer against Akiyama and the gift decision against Kampmann to show for it due to pissing dirty on whatever against Herman at MW. Hopefully, the time off means he's been able to settle back down to 170 and feels good with the cut, but I don't see this being a good night for Jake....
    100% agreed. I can smell a beatdown from Woodley coming, and Sheilds is 1/10th the fighter he was post-UFC...I think Dan Henderson and GSP really bashed his brain around.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Hoping for a Top 5 guy? Lol what gives him the idea he deserves a top 5 fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

Was it really the muscle or what it the loss of his father?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information