Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White: 'Hunt proved everyone wrong' to become 'one of the greatest stories in sports

Default White: 'Hunt proved everyone wrong' to become 'one of the greatest stories in sports

Dana White: 'Mark Hunt proved everyone wrong' to become 'one of the greatest stories in sports right now' - Bloody Elbow

On Thursday, Dana told MMA Junkie what he thinks of "The Super Samoan's" renaissance:

He felt very disrespected and felt like he never really belonged here," White said. "He had a losing record in PRIDE and we didn't want to bring him into the UFC, so we said, 'We'll pay you the money and you can ride off into the sunset and do your thing.' And he was like, 'F--- that. I want to be paid to fight.' First of all, a losing record, his age, the guy hadn't fought in a long time. It just made no sense to bring the guy in.

Even though we weren't wrong (about not wanting him at first), we ended up being wrong. He proved us wrong, he proved everybody who doubted him wrong. We just didn't cut him, we kept him – and imagine if we had cut him.

Since that day, how we didn't want him, and just wanted to pay him and have him basically go away, he took incredible offense to that and never felt like he really belonged here," White said. "I understand that. I said, 'I'll fix the things that made you feel this way. You're right, and I'm sorry this happened to you. We do respect you and I think you're one of the greatest stories in sports right now, to be honest with you.' So I got everything worked out and now he's ecstatic and I'm happy I could do it.

Good to hear. He's one of my favorite heavyweights.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Suisse drunk I'm having the funsies people not like my crazy
    someone should take my phone when I'm drunk.

He definitely keeps the HW division interesting.

I do hope he gets a chance to fight Nelson, before he eventually gets cut

Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    He definitely keeps the HW division interesting.

I do hope he gets a chance to fight Nelson, before he eventually gets cut

Who gets cut Nelson or Hunt?

Gonna take a couple big loses for either man to get cut at this point... Or for Nelson to keep running his mouth and making things difficult for Dana & Co.

Greatest heavyweight of all time (sorry Pashak).

Now everyone knows the greatest HW of all time is clearly Chiek Kongo. Quit trippin...
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I'll admit that when the UFC first signed Hunt I was a bit of a skeptic, but now I am very much on board the Super Samoan bandwagon. That guy's the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Now everyone knows the greatest HW of all time is clearly Chiek Kongo. Quit trippin...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I'll admit that when the UFC first signed Hunt I was a bit of a skeptic, but now I am very much on board the Super Samoan bandwagon. That guy's the real deal.

you do know roaddawg's just messing right?

hunt's my favourite HW fighter and I hope he wins big against JDS. nothing against JDS as I like him as a person and love watching him fight but this time i'll be pulling for hunt to win.
    hopefully, if hunt wins, he will get the title shot.
    war hunt!

9. Default

Cat did Roy sound like a converted to a company man when he talked at the post fight presser? Hunts a very dangerous dude, but is he well rounded enough to have consistency at winning.
    If the UFC was paying him since Pride you think they would of used him when the Div was really weak.

Dana said this a long time ago but it's still significant. Hunt vs. JDS will be amazing, but I think Junior might play it safe and take Hunt down at will... strike, TD, strike, TD...

As for the GOAT of the heavyweight division... Eddie Sanchez has my vote.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Thread Information