Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill

Default The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill

The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill

M-1 Korea is now in business, an organization that has been created to compete with Road FC, but it's not run by the same people who operate M-1 Global. It just holds the 'M-1 brand.' They plan to have an event called 'War of Monsters' that will most likely be composed of some fun, 'freakshow' matches.

KSW light heavyweight Jan Blachowicz will join World Series of Fighting and take on Rumble Johnson at 205 lbs.

UFC plans to do something called 'The Ultimates 2013' which some speculate is a ZUFFA-only award show.

It appears the UFC is going to team up with Dodge to release a custom 'Dodge Dart' that will be branded with the UFC logo, along with some other exclusive automobile styling.

Alright, so I've been reading over Bellator contracts all weekend (yeah, fun way to spend a Saturday night) and it appears that Bjorn Rebney is doing everything correctly, contractually at least. However ethically, that's another story. It's Eddie Alvarez's fault (and every other fighter in Bellator that are complaining) that they inspected and signed a highly-restrictive contract. Some people have been blaming Bellator for insane clauses in their fighter contract -- but the reality is every fighter contract (even UFC's) is insanely restrictive. Just look at Roy Nelson, a dude that could potentially fight for the UFC heavyweight title and he's still on a TUF contract. Now ethically, the two organizations are drastically different. You have a guy like Eddie Alvarez that clearly doesn't want to fight for Bellator, yet he's contractually binded to the promotion. With UFC, Rampage made it clear that he didn't want to fight for UFC and after his most recent fight, I can't imagine a scenario in which Dana White would force Rampage to step foot in the Octagon again. Yes, technically Rampage's contract was finished, however the UFC still has an option to match any non-ZUFFA fight offer he receives. If Rampage Jackson wanted to sign for WSOF or even Bellator, there's no way Dana White would hold him to that clause. Sure it's speculative, but it's also most likely correct.

There's a rumor that Matt Riddle is going to fight Leonard Garcia at a catchweight in a K-1 rules fight.

Phil Baroni will be signing a three-fight, non-tournament contract with Bellator.

Kawajiri will be doing voice talent for a new Japanese MMORPG called 'Legend of Souls.' The game is rumored to be pretty gnarly, with 100 vs. 100 PvP combat. Kawajiri seems to have a major role in the game.

Jon Jones appears to be on the verge of landing a massive Gatorade contract.

An unnamed Bellator fighter has a horror story from the promotion that he/she wanted me to share. Apparently the fighter was offered to fight in Bellator and were told hotel and flight would be paid for. After getting the medicals done, Bellator then says the fighter will not be compensated for hotel or travel. The fighter said they would not go on with the fight since the price of the hotel and flight would be more than their actual fight purse. Allegedly Bellator said they would 'ruin his/her career' if they don't sign the contract. In the end, the fighter did not sign the contract and Bellator has fortunately done nothing to him/her.

Singapore's Marina Bay Sands has been asked by the UFC to lock two dates for a potential card: a date in December and a 'back-up' date in January.
    Also, a lot of Asian MMA media have been inquiring when the UFC will be hiring for their new Singapore office. Look for an official announcement from UFC soon.

Nick Diaz appears to be launching his own MMA promotion. Yeah, wild stuff.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Thanks Sniggles Smasher

There's a rumor that Matt Riddle is going to fight Leonard Garcia at a catchweight in a K-1 rules fight.

Phil Baroni will be signing a three-fight, non-tournament contract with Bellator.

Nick Diaz appears to be launching his own MMA promotion. Yeah, wild stuff.
    Da fuq?

nickdiazpromotions.com -->
    Untitled Document

A Nick Diaz MMA company is it's own analogy for a terrible idea.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I can't wait to see it
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Alright, so I've been reading over Bellator contracts all weekend (yeah, fun way to spend a Saturday night) and it appears that Bjorn Rebney is doing everything correctly, contractually at least. However ethically, that's another story. It's Eddie Alvarez's fault (and every other fighter in Bellator that are complaining) that they inspected and signed a highly-restrictive contract. Some people have been blaming Bellator for insane clauses in their fighter contract -- but the reality is every fighter contract (even UFC's) is insanely restrictive.
    ...even the UFC's?

This kid doesn't know his basic history. zuffa was BDSM-ing contracts back when Bellator was still shopping for logos. zuffa wrote the book on iron-clad contracts, Rebney just got a copy of the Cliff's notes.

Now ethically, the two organizations are drastically different.
    No, they aren't.

You have a guy like Eddie Alvarez that clearly doesn't want to fight for Bellator, yet he's contractually binded to the promotion. With UFC, Rampage made it clear that he didn't want to fight for UFC and after his most recent fight, I can't imagine a scenario in which Dana White would force Rampage to step foot in the Octagon again. Yes, technically Rampage's contract was finished, however the UFC still has an option to match any non-ZUFFA fight offer he receives. If Rampage Jackson wanted to sign for WSOF or even Bellator, there's no way Dana White would hold him to that clause.
    You can't even begin to compare the two.

Alverez was there since Bellator Season 1, and is easily the #1 most recognized name still in the entire organization. rampage is a burnt out shadow of himself, and his star has been eclipsed by others in the org.

Alvarez has been a worker bee from the beginning, the picture of a company man. rampage is entirely undependable, prone to behavior falling somewhere between inane and criminal.

But what is most important is simply that jackson is no longer one of the UFC's top draws, and he can't justify his inflated salary any longer. rampage can't be counted on to fulfill a contract or stay healthy enough to show up and make weight, never mind conduct business and bring in viewers in the same percentages that Alvarez would do for Bellator. Is rampage a bigger draw than Alverez? probably, for now...but that's due to faded glory rather than rising stardom. People know rampage because of his efforts 4 years ago. Alvarez looks to have his best years ahead of him, even if he has to ride out the 15 month waiting period.

If Alvarez signs with Bellator, he will make money for the org [and most importantly, for Viacom, who is driving the legal bus right now]. If rampage were to re-sign with zuffa, there is no guarantee he'll actually fulfill any requirements, never mind do so in a way that makes the org any serious money.

So, no. The two cases simply cannot be compared, other than in the most superficial "both employees are disgruntled" reference.

Don't think for a heartbeat that dana is willing to let anyone leave if it means throwing buckets of money out the window after them. Both he and Rebney are promoters, first and foremost.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 05-13-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Diaz must have ran out of ways to talk himself into a title fight. I can just imagine him whining about not being the champ

"screw UFC, I'll go start my own promotion and I'll be the champion and we'll do our own independent drug testing"

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I want to see Kawajiri have a major role in a genuine featherweight division. Love me some Crusher.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Diaz must have ran out of ways to talk himself into a title fight. I can just imagine him whining about not being the champ

"screw UFC, I'll go start my own promotion and I'll be the champion and we'll do our own independent drug testing"
    If Diaz starts his own promotion, do you honestly think he would be fighting in it? It will be a low level organization and I would bet my house Diaz wont be fighting in it.

Good on Diaz, both brothers seem to have an honest love for martial arts and sharing that knowledge with others.

But what I could see is, if possible, some modified rules, no elbows on the ground &point deducations for stalling or not engaging enough.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 05-13-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Thread Information