+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Vera returns to heavyweight, fights Ben Rothwell at UFC 164

Default Brandon Vera returns to heavyweight, fights Ben Rothwell at UFC 164

Brandon Vera returns to heavyweight, fights Ben Rothwell at UFC 164 - Bloody Elbow

Brandon Vera is returning to the heavyweight division, where he first rose to prominence as a young prospect. He will face Ben Rothwell at UFC 164 on August 31st in Milwaukee, Wisconsin according to MMA Junkie. It's a highly intriguing contest because we could see "the best Brandon Vera ever", or "the old Brandon Vera", or "Brandon Vera 2.0 rebooted".

Vera (12-6, 1 NC) has not fought since a rushed together Fox main event against Mauricio Rua last August. While "The Truth" lost by 4th round TKO, it was one of his most inspired and impressive performances for years. He was once considered "the future" of the heavyweight division, and he himself said he was going to be a champion at HW and LHW, but that has clearly not turned into reality. After consecutive losses to Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum, Vera dropped to 205 lbs and amassed a 4-4, 1 NC record. His wins were hardly against the best of the division, but his losses have ranged from an ugly mess of a fight against Keith Jardine to his TKO loss via Jon Jones' bloody elbows.

Rothwell (32-9) is 2-3 in the UFC, with his most recent bout ending in a submission loss against Gabriel Gonzaga. His best moment in the octagon was knocking out Brendan Schaub in the 1st round at UFC 145. The 12 year veteran of the sport has fought the likes of Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Ricco Rodriguez, Cain Velasquez, and Andrei Arlovski, with varying levels of success.

UFC 164 airs live on PPV, with prelims live on Fox Sports 1. It is likely that this fight will be placed on the FS1 portion of the broadcast. Heavyweights Alistair Overeem and Travis Browne are rumored to be fighting each other on this card, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

2. Default

I'd enjoy seeing the best Vera as he was fun to watch when he started and was winning

Question on my mind is, did he put on muscle mass? Or more than likely just ate a shitload of doughnuts?

This is the most recent media content with him that I could find, from February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_wn6tCOHg#!

Realistically, I can't imagine he's bulked up that much in three months. I think Ben Rothwell looks a hell of a lot better in WI than he does in Brazil, makes this a brawl, and gets the knockout.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Looking at what the 205 lb wrestlers did to Vera any care to imagine what Cain would do to him?

Rothwell Schaub and Struve will end up being 3 first opponents he faces at HW but the only 2 matches I'd care to see him in would be Struve for pure entertainment and Big Country do to finding it a very interesting matchup.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Looking at what the 205 lb wrestlers did to Vera any care to imagine what Cain would do to him?

Rothwell Schaub and Struve will end up being 3 first opponents he faces at HW but the only 2 matches I'd care to see him in would be Struve for pure entertainment and Big Country do to finding it a very interesting matchup.
    Easy there fella.

Vera is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far away from even meeting Cain. The man has first gotta put 3 wins in a row in ANY division.

He lost to Tim enough said

if Vera loses they finally cut him. Its a bad matchup as well, the guy hasnt been a HW in years he should be fighting a smaller guy like Pat Barry, that would be a fight. Big Ben is going to either KO him or tire him out on the ground.

I don't think Vera is going to do so well in this fight or any other one a heavyweight. Especially if you consider that it will have been over a year since he's last fought.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    He lost to Tim enough said
    Yea, but he also broke his hands in that fight. I honestly don't know where he has more of a chance. 205 is a tough division, but he is so tiny for hw. I don't see him beating any top hw's, but i can see him getting some wins against the lower ranked ones. Same with lhw.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information