Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diego Sanchez calls out Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thomson, or Nate Diaz for UFC 164

1. Default Diego Sanchez calls out Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thomson, or Nate Diaz for UFC 164

Diego Sanchez calls out Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thomson, or Nate Diaz for UFC 164 in Milwaukee - MMAmania.com

Diego Sanchez made a successful return back down to the lightweight division at UFC on FUEL TV 8 last March by defeating former PRIDE FC 155-pound champion Takanori Gomi via controversial split decision.

While fight fans in attendance felt "The Fireball Kid" deserved to get the nod, the judges felt otherwise, giving the victory to "The Dream," earning him his first win at 155 pounds since defeating Clay Guida back in 2009.

Looking to get back into the swing of things, Diego eyes a return to action at UFC 164 when the Las Vegas-based mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion heads to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Aug. 31, 2013.

And according to Ariel Helwani (via "UFC Tonight"), Sanchez has a few opponents in mind.

First on the list is former Strikeforce contender Josh Thomson. "The Punk" made a successful return to the Octagon by becoming the first man to stop Nate Diaz last month at UFC on FOX 7. The victory put him back into the win column after coming up short in his trilogy title fight against Gilbert Melendez last May.

Next on Diego's wish list is a fight against the aforementioned Diaz. While UFC matchmakers usually don't pit a fighter coming off a loss against one coming off a win, Diaz has been on "The Nightmare's" radar for some quite time now.

Why?

Sanchez wants to be the first and only man to defeat both Diaz brothers, having already defeated Nick Diaz eight years ago. A win over both scrappy contenders would be a nice feather in anyone's cap.

Wanting to stay in the Cesar Gracie camp, should a bout against Nate not see the light of day, Diego will settle for a tussle against former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. "El Nino" made an unsuccessful -- yet, valiant -- Octagon debut at UFC on FOX 7, coming up on the wrong end of the judges' scorecards against current 155-pound king Ben Henderson.

With the intense pace both Melendez and Sanchez bring to the table, a bout between the scrappy fighters would definitely equal fireworks and would surely be a candidate for "Fight of the Night," if not "Fight of the Year."

Or perhaps "Fight of the Decade."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

i say diego loses all 3 of those fights.

3. Default

All depends on which diego shows up Nightmare or the Dream

He may only have a chance against Nate just based on takedowns alone. Josh or Gil would outclass him.

5. Default

Guys, Diego wins fights he clearly gets outclassed and loses.

There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Hasn't won a fight at LW in 4 years, calling out top 2-7 fighters?

Makes perfect sense.

I'd give him a rematch with Guida, first off. I'm not a Guida fan, but I thought he beat Diego back when. If that didn't seem to fit, I'd put him more in the Cerrone-Healy-Lauzon opponent area, somewhere just on the fringes of top 10.

even with name recognition, I do not think he deserves a top 10--let alone a top 5--opponent. I also think any of the guys he's asked for lights him up.

I think his show-salary is somewhere between 50-60k, which is pretty high...if he gets what he asks for and loses, he might be shopping for a contract.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

not saying he'd win.....but I would like to see diego vs nate

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Hasn't won a fight at LW in 4 years, calling out top 2-7 fighters?

Makes perfect sense.

rh
    dees guys nose watch up!

If he actually wrestles i think he can beat nate, but I see Gil as a better version of him.

Thread Information