Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Silva says forget superheroes he's taking Velasquez's title at UFC 160

Default Antonio Silva says forget superheroes he's taking Velasquez's title at UFC 160

Antonio Silva says forget superheroes

"There are no superheroes in this sport," Silva said through a translator on a Tuesday media call ahead of next week's pay-per-view. "Nobody is invincible. And Ive been putting in a lot of hard work for the last nine weeks. I have been preparing myself and Im very confident that Im going to have my arm raised."

That confidence comes despite already having faced Velasquez once on the UFC's Memorial Day weekend card a year ago. The result of that one at UFC 146 was, well, not good for him.

Velasquez, who was fighting for the first time since losing his title to Junior dos Santos, issued a major beatdown on Silva in the co-main event. Silva was a bloody mess after the first-round TKO loss, and Velasquez was on his way back to a chance to reclaim his title, which he did with ease at UFC 155 this past December against Dos Santos.

But Silva believes that last fight doesn't have much bearing this time around.

"I think the main thing is in our first fight I was nervous and I was anxious," Silva said. "And I have replaced those emotions now. Now Im calm and Im driven. I really want this. Comparing my style of fighting to Cains style of fighting, I would have to be born again to become faster than Cain Velasquez. Ive got 30 pounds on him. Hes going to be faster than me. So I need to work with what I have, and what I have is very, very heavy hands.

"So, Im going to need to keep my hands healthy and heavy to go in there and Im sure that the first punch that I really land, hes going to go down."

Silva got his title shot following a vicious third-round knockout of Alistair Overeem at UFC 156 this past February. He was stifled for the first two rounds, but in the third a switch was thrown and he made quick work of the Dutch striking expert.

Between that and an October win over Travis Browne, Silva's stock was up enough for the UFC to throw him into the rematch with Velasquez, despite the result a year ago.

But thinking about where he might be in the division with a loss isn't something he's prepared to do.

"Thank God the heavyweight division is very competitive right now," he said. "I think its fantastic. It pretty much means that any fight the UFC makes has the makings to be an awesome fight in this division, there are really no poor matchups. But Im very confident that Im going to win this belt, so I believe that Im going to be the one defending it."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Bigfoot is a scary dude

but Cain is just a beast among warriors.

I want a war, but I see Cain putting Silva on his back, and pounding him out

If Silva gets the upset, does DC get the next title shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I'd like to see DC take on the loser of theHunt/JDS(/Nelson) fight first

5. Default

Bigfoot doesn't make it to the championship rounds.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Cain is going to beat him again. Not as easily as the last time, but once again he will put Silva on his back and detsroy him there.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Second verse same as the first.
    USA! USA! USA!

bigfoot needs to put caine on his back and pound away

The same Silva that got taken down and beaten to a pulp by Cain, the same Silva that got TKOd by DC is the same Silva that will once again get the breaks beat off of him in his rematch.

Cain unlike Overeem is an intelligent fighter and doesn't showboat. Had Overeem taken that approach in his fight against Silva we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Yes I agree, and also BigFoot was getting dominated by Overeem.

The only really impressive fight by BigFoot in recent years have been his win over Fedor (and even there, who knows who won the first round).
    I do not see him beating Cain at all.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information