Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke Rockhold Turned Down His Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wants to “Earn it a Different Way

1. Default Luke Rockhold Turned Down His Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wants to “Earn it a Different Way

Luke Rockhold Turned Down His Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wants to

During the pre-fight press conference yesterday Luke Rockhold once again made it a point to bring up Vitor Belfort‘s TRT use and stated that he felt Belfort, who is currently ranked #2 in the UFC MW division, has to use it because “he lacks something” and Rockhold feels that he can capitalize on that lack of something in Belfort’s game. He also made it a point to bring up the grappling resume that he holds compared to the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in Belfort. Here is what Rockhold had to say about his own grappling credentials:

“I’ve been in jiu-jitsu and grappling my whole life. I’m very aware of my body and how I move, and I’ve competed on a world level in jiu-jitsu and I’ve won. I may only be a brown belt, but I have two world championships at blue belt, one at purple belt and I actually turned down my black belt because I wanted to compete at brown belt and win a world championship and try to earn it a different way. Black belts are black belts, I’m very capable of beating anybody. I bring “legitsu” to the table.”
    World championships, even if they are not at the black-belt level, speak volumes when it comes to grappling inside the cage. Rockhold is pretty much claiming that he grapples at the black-belt level and he will likely need those skills to shine through if he finds himself on the mat with Belfort tomorrow night.

Read more at Luke Rockhold Turned Down His Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wants to
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

so basically he is going to sandbag his way through the brown belt division.... what a hero

Quote Originally Posted by braddahmatt View Post
    so basically he is going to sandbag his way through the brown belt division.... what a hero
    That's the first thing that came to my mind.

Second thing was that Daniel Russo should not have gotten his black belt so quickly.

"Legitsu".....still better than "thugjitsu"

5. Default

It will mean something when he gets his black belt and wins a championship. Too many are given there blackbelts as gifts. With that outlook I have no problem with waiting.

No problem with him wanting to win worlds as a brown. Big accomplishment of doing it as a blue. Would be awesome to win at each level.

Just retread and saw that he won as a purple belt as well. Would be awesome to win as a brown and then get the black belt.
    Last edited by MIZjitsZOU; 05-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.

I don't think you guys get it... if his sensei says he is ready for his black belt he should be competing at the black belt level. Too many people just sandbag lower divisions just so they can win something... it means nothing if you are supposed to be competing in a higher division but win the division below. That's like a middleweight winning the lightweight championship while keeping his weight at 185. Its bullshit, he should want the challenge.

Belts mean nothing, BJ Penn showed everyone that.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I got Rockhold taking Belfort out. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    I got Rockhold taking Belfort out. Anyone else?
    I don't think Rockhold is even top 10. I don't see him winning this. He may get KTFO.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Thread Information