Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luke Rockhold Turned Down His Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wants to “Earn it a Different Way

I don't know about belts, but sounds to me like Rockhold is making a ton of excuses if he loses this fight. Personally I think it's kinda unmanly to whine so much about your opponent, plus his behavior at the weigh ins makes me think he may be more than a little scared of Vitor. Personally I'm pulling for the Old Lion, just so I can hear Rockhold whine about TRT after the fight....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by braddahmatt View Post
    I don't think you guys get it... if his sensei says he is ready for his black belt he should be competing at the black belt level. Too many people just sandbag lower divisions just so they can win something... it means nothing if you are supposed to be competing in a higher division but win the division below. That's like a middleweight winning the lightweight championship while keeping his weight at 185. Its bullshit, he should want the challenge.
    I don't think you get it if you are calling his bjj instructor a sensei. He wants to win worlds at brown to earn his promotion. He will be competing against the best browns in the world. After that he will try to win the worlds at the black belt level. This is not him sandbagging. This is him having a goal. The brown belt at the world championship level will beat most black belts.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I don't think you get it if you are calling his bjj instructor a sensei. He wants to win worlds at brown to earn his promotion. He will be competing against the best browns in the world. After that he will try to win the worlds at the black belt level. This is not him sandbagging. This is him having a goal. The brown belt at the world championship level will beat most black belts.
    is it wrong to call your instructor sensei? Here in hawaii we call our instructor sensei... i dont know what you guys do on the mainland. you do know that bjj was adapted from the japanese? and yes, it is sandbagging... i don't care if its the best brown belts in the world, you are given your black belt, but you turn it down so you can compete in a lower division? That is the definition of sandbagging.

Quote Originally Posted by braddahmatt View Post
    is it wrong to call your instructor sensei? Here in hawaii we call our instructor sensei... i dont know what you guys do on the mainland. you do know that bjj was adapted from the japanese? and yes, it is sandbagging... i don't care if its the best brown belts in the world, you are given your black belt, but you turn it down so you can compete in a lower division? That is the definition of sandbagging.
    Yeah I say instructor. Used to do judo where we called our instructor sensei. That was an awesome ko. Rockhold might need to consider competing in jits for a bit after that ko. I think u have convinced me that it is sandbagging.

Thread Information