Thread: Mark Hunt and potential replacement Roy Nelson are granted licenses to fight

1. Default Mark Hunt and potential replacement Roy Nelson are granted licenses to fight

As visa waiting game continues, both Mark Hunt and potential replacement Roy Nelson are granted licenses to fight.

Mark Hunt may not have his visa yet, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission granted him a license to fight Junior dos Santos at UFC 160 next weekend.

Hunt, who is still stuck in New Zealand awaiting a visa to fly to Las Vegas, told the commission on Friday that he is hopeful his visa will come soon.

"I'm still waiting." he said. "I think I should be getting one on Monday. Hopefully Monday."
    A UFC representative told MMAFighting.com that they are still confident Hunt's visa issues will be resolved before next weekend's event. Hunt told MMAFighting.com last week that the issue stems from a 2002 arrest, which he said on Friday was quickly dismissed.

In the meantime, the commission approved Hunt to fight in Las Vegas. This would mark just the second time in his MMA/kickboxing career that "The Super Samoan" would compete in "the fight capital of the world."

The UFC also recently approached Roy Nelson about potentially filling in for Hunt, should he not get his visa, so "Big Country" was also asked to apply for a license to fight at UFC 160. The NSAC approved his application on Friday, as well.

However, Nelson is no shoe-in. A source close to the situation told MMAFighting.com that an initial deal couldn't be reached between both parties due to financial terms, however, Nelson is still willing to fight on short notice, if an adequate deal can be made.

Hunt tried to leave New Zealand twice last week but was stopped at the airport both times. When asked if he was worried about having to deal with jet lag on fight week, Hunt looked on the bright side.

"Even if I was," he said, "what can be done about this?"
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I'm really hoping that Mark Hunt can get this taken care of and fight. I've been really excited about his fight with JDS ever since it was announced. Nothing against Roy Nelson but I can't see a rematch with him and JDS being anything different than the first time they fought. Roy showed a ton of heart in that fight but it wasn't very competitive.

Favorite Fighters

Chuck Liddell|BJ Penn|Lyoto Machida|Kid Yamamoto|Urijah Faber|Dan Henderson|Daniel Cormier|Anthony Pettis

Quote Originally Posted by JustScrap View Post
    I'm really hoping that Mark Hunt can get this taken care of and fight. I've been really excited about his fight with JDS ever since it was announced. Nothing against Roy Nelson but I can't see a rematch with him and JDS being anything different than the first time they fought. Roy showed a ton of heart in that fight but it wasn't very competitive.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Roy suffering from a full blown case of the FLU during this fight? I think he was, and he fought damn good for being as sick as he was. It was known before that fight that he had it, if I'm not mistaken. So it wasn't just some lame excuse like a lot of people give after a loss.

I personally, would love to see JDS vs Big Country 2. But I also want to see Hunt fight JDS as well. So, win win for me I guess.

Why does no one want to see Roy Nelson fight Mark Hunt?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvall View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Roy suffering from a full blown case of the FLU during this fight? I think he was, and he fought damn good for being as sick as he was. It was known before that fight that he had it, if I'm not mistaken. So it wasn't just some lame excuse like a lot of people give after a loss.

I personally, would love to see JDS vs Big Country 2. But I also want to see Hunt fight JDS as well. So, win win for me I guess.
    I thought Roy had the bad flu when he fought Mir?

Quote Originally Posted by Uvall View Post

I believe it was the fight against Frank Mir that Roy was suffering from a severe case of pneumonia. He performed very horribly and his cardio suffered worse than any other fight.

Roy did put up a fight against JDS, and did manage to get through all 15min. JDS did show some fatigue trying to put away Nelson as well.
    JDS would most likely win again but a lot to keep in mind from the first fight:

JDS was hungrier, chasing that title. In his last 2 fights, he was cocky with his standup, keeping his hands low. Frank Mir didnt make him pay for it but Cain did. Who knows how he will show up after coming off a horrific loss.

Roy Nelson has gotten VERY good at landing that OHR. He claims to have learned some combos. He has been moving a lot better lately, and not absorbing any shots. He could possibly give JDS a war, and surprise him with a few things.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for correcting me on that guys. Not sure why I kept thinking it was JDS where he had the FLU.

There are threads in sherdog where it says that Mark Hunt received his visa.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information