Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Hunt gets visa, now cleared for UFC 160 co-main event vs. Junior Dos Santos

Default Mark Hunt gets visa, now cleared for UFC 160 co-main event vs. Junior Dos Santos

Mark Hunt gets visa, now cleared for UFC 160 co-main event vs. Junior Dos Santos | News

The heavyweight, slated for the co-main event this Saturday at UFC 160 in Las Vegas, had been stuck in Australia due to a visa issue, threatening his trip to the States to compete in what amounts to the biggest fight of his MMA career.

But on Sunday, Hunt posted on his Twitter account that he has obtained his visa, clearing the way for him to head to the other side of the world for Saturday's fight. Hunt also this past Friday received his license from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the bout.

Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) will fight former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas in what is expected to be a title eliminator, with the winner very likely moving on to meet the winner of the night's main event current champ Cain Velasquez and top contender Antonio Silva.

The UFC 160 main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

With Hunt still stuck in Australia this past week, he participated in a conference call with media members and said he was hopeful the situation would be sorted out. And UFC officials said a team was working on the problem and was confident Hunt would be in the United States by week's end.

That timetable won't quite prove to be accurate, but at the very least Hunt should be in Las Vegas by the UFC's standard fight week time table, which typically has fighters arriving on Tuesday for a Saturday event.

That may not be exactly ideal for Hunt, who has said that a previous fight in Las Vegas that had him in town just four days ahead of the fight had him feeling sluggish.

"I'm just running out of time to get over there and acclimatize," Hunt said on this past Tuesday's media call.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

As a Hunt fan, I really hoped this fight was cancelled. He wasn't in good shape after the injury, took this on short(ish) notice, and now can't follow his travel routine after a week or so of stress and uncertainty. This is a nasty combination for him and I hate the idea of Hunt's biggest shot coming when things are so unfavorable for him

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    As a Hunt fan, I really hoped this fight was cancelled. He wasn't in good shape after the injury, took this on short(ish) notice, and now can't follow his travel routine after a week or so of stress and uncertainty. This is a nasty combination for him and I hate the idea of Hunt's biggest shot coming when things are so unfavorable for him
    I think he's gonna be alright honestly man... but Hunt definitely isnt as well-rounded nor does he have as many tools on his belt as JDS, however he's got some sick power and I see somebody going to sleep or TKO stoppage due to strikes.

I hope Hunt pulls it off tho I really do, cheers to the underdog!
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Anchorpunch: don't be a half glass full type of guy. Hunt is old! This is probably his last chance to fight for gold. If he wins it would be epic. There is no try! Only do--yoda

Edit: half empty (drunk texting)
    Last edited by MIZjitsZOU; 05-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Im so rooting for Mark Hunt in this fight, very interested to see if Junior keeps the fight standing where the fans want it or if his camp tries to use there noggins and ground the Samoan.

This whole Visa issue is just another chapter in the Cinderella Story that will be HUNT'S HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Anchorpunch: don't be a half glass full type of guy. Hunt is old! This is probably his last chance to fight for gold. If he wins it would be epic. There is no try! Only do--yoda

Edit: half empty (drunk texting)
    Good advice man. GO HUNT!

JDS must definitely take this fight to the ground. JDS is the best boxer in the HW division, but Mark Hunt is a K-1 monster.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Heart says Hunt. Brain says JDS.

I don't like cheering against JDS, seems like such a good respectful dude. But man I hope Hunt wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information