Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed Luke Rockhold targets quick return following UFC on FX 8 defeat

Default Disappointed Luke Rockhold targets quick return following UFC on FX 8 defeat

Disappointed Luke Rockhold targets quick return following UFC on FX 8 defeat | News

"It doesn't feel good," Rockhold said. "I haven't lost in a long time. I don't like losing.

"I train to win, and I came to win. It definitely doesn't feel good."

Rockhold and Belfort faced off in the main event of Saturday's UFC on FX 8 card, which took place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. Rockhold was making his UFC debut and hoped to make a statement against MMA legend Belfort, who boasts a near-17-year history in the sport and is a former UFC champion.

After a brief feeling-out process, a patient Belfort unleashed a pinpoint spinning wheel kick that landed flush to the face and sent Rockhold toppling to the floor. Belfort seized the opportunity and swarmed with punches until the fight was waved off at the 2:32 mark of the opening round.

Rockhold said he wasn't exactly sure how it all went wrong.

"I mean it's hard to say what went wrong," Rockhold told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "I was feeling good. I was finding my timing. I felt like I was controlling things, and then he landed a spinning heel kick to my head."

Rockhold and Belfort had endured a spirited build-up to the fight with the former Strikeforce champ openly questioning the legitimacy of the Brazilian's commission-approved use of testosterone-replacement therapy.

Things got more heated during fight week. A press conference staredown saw Belfort put his fist next to Rockhold's chin. Rockhold countered at the following day's weigh-ins by pressing into his opponent's face, earning a shove from Belfort in the process. Despite the emotion, Rockhold said he didn't believe he fought recklessly.

"I felt good in this fight," Rockhold said. "I had a great camp. I felt good in the fight. I was focused. I don't know if I got overconfident or what exactly happened. I don't know. I thought I had it.

"I felt good. I saw his punches. I saw everything. I was landing some shots. I felt like I was starting to control things, and then I got caught. It happens."

Rockhold offered a bit of an olive branch after the fight by crediting his opponent's skills – and not TRT – for earning Belfort the win.

"TRT had nothing to do with that kick," Rockhold said.

Stann and Rockhold would be a good next fight.

I like that idea, Miz, but I'm assuming they're targeting Stann for an easier win right now. How about Rockhold/Phillipou?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I like that idea, Miz, but I'm assuming they're targeting Stann for an easier win right now. How about Rockhold/Phillipou?
    I like that idea as well brother. Just thought they might want to match folks coming off victories but since Luke was a champ previous to the belfort fight then I could see it.

how about Rockhold/Sonnen for funsies? ok ok ok... I kid I kid

Stann makes sense or screw it, feed Bisping to him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rockhold VS Lombard or Okami either.

I like that Mickey ---rockhd vs lombard

Rockhold is overrated. I called the Vitor KO & felt very confident about it. Rockhold is a well rounded fighter but had never been in there with striking on Belfort's level.

I basically see Rockhold as Bisping with better grappling. I'm not convinced he'd even beat Bisping. Some were really impressed by the win over Jacare, but if Jacare can't get it to the ground he has nothing to offer. Luke's striking isn't nearly as good as a lot of people on this board make it out to be.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Rockhold Belcher if the UFC is thinking about putting someone on the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Rockhold VS Lombard or Okami either.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I like that Mickey ---rockhd vs lombard
    I'm onboard with that! Totally forgot about Hector Lombard..

Thread Information