Thread: MacDonald dismisses notion of ever fighting GSP

Default MacDonald dismisses notion of ever fighting GSP

MacDonald dismisses notion of ever fighting GSP - Mixed Martial Arts News

Rory MacDonald has slowly been moving his way up the welterweight rankings and a win over Jake Ellenberger in his next bout could put him a fight away from a world title fight. The only problem, longtime friend and trainer partner Georges St-Pierre is currently the world champion. According to MacDonald, however, the two will never fight, no matter what:

"We're not fighting," MacDonald said. "Me and Georges are friends, we're training partners. We'll have our own arrangements and figure it all out when the time comes. It's not going to come to us fighting. Friends, teammates, you know? We're here to help each other."

When asked to clarify his "arrangements" comment, MacDonald reiterated his ultimate goal in the sport is to become a champion.

"We'll just figure it out," MacDonald said. "I'm not there yet. I'm more focused on Jake than anything, I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm sure at one point I'll be champ in this division, that is my goal. I'm not just here to be No. 3 guy or No. 4 or whatever I'm ranked. Eventually I'll get there."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Ok two things:

1. If GSP can get past the whole "we're friends and training partners" thing and fight Condit, why can't Rory get past it?

And

2. GSP has to get past Hendricks first so I'm not so sure that a fight between Rory and George will even be in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I believe the condit situation was easier b/c condit was not a tri star exclusive fighter. I have never had a problem with guys choosing not to fight team mates. I wouldn't do it. Hard enough to have to compete jits against a teammate let alone fight a guy. Trying to separate a team mate from their consciousness in competition would not be an easy thing to committ to. Sure I would love to see this fight or Cain vs dc and so on but I respect when the guys say no.

Translation: "I'm ok with not knowing whether I'm the best WW fighter in the world."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Translation: "I'm ok with not knowing whether I'm the best WW fighter in the world."
    He trains with GSP. He already knows he is not.
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Ok two things:

1. If GSP can get past the whole "we're friends and training partners" thing and fight Condit, why can't Rory get past it?
    Rory is much closer to GSP than Condit was/is. Rory is GSP's training partner, while Condit was not very close to GSP.

There was articles and videos out during the time of the fight that stated that Condit and GSP rarely trained together. The friend aspect was played up because they are from Jackson's, but GSP does not train with Jackson's. GSP would use Greg Jackson for his game-planning and strategy at that time period and not for training.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    2. GSP has to get past Hendricks first so I'm not so sure that a fight between Rory and George will even be in the cards.
    GSP beats Hendricks then fights Silva and retires!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    He trains with GSP. He already knows he is not.
    Oh I don't think he is either. But I think it sucks that he doesn't want to fight the best in the world. What's the point of fighting if you don't want to fight the best in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Oh I don't think he is either. But I think it sucks that he doesn't want to fight the best in the world. What's the point of fighting if you don't want to fight the best in the world.
    I get what you mean, and ideally that would be everyones mindset. I can honestly say though that if I was in his shoes, I may be doing the same thing. I wouldn't wanna fight a friend either, especially if he could kick my ass, but if I was making good money, enjoying it, and not having to work a 9-5, I wouldn't hang it up either. Realistically alot of guys at WW know they will never be champ. Diaz, Kos, Hardy, Shields, all those guys have to know that they probably are never gonna get another shot or at least know that they are a loooooooooooong way from getting that shot, but they still fight (except Diaz maybe). I think Matt Hughes stuck around doing his little semi-retired winning streak because he legit thought he could be champ again, and when he lost two, he called it quits. I think he had that mindset that you are talking about. Realistically though if your name isn't Hendricks, Ellenberger, Maia, or Brown, then you can't feel really awesome about being champ anytime soon (I may be missing a few but that was off the top of my head).
    USA! USA! USA!

I thought the point was to make a lot of money.

Zombie is born!

10. Default

Old saying 2nd best is the first loser. I hate losing when I'm the better man but I also can honor a person who humbly is better and beats me. I've trained both sides before and gave both my best and there best chances. I see the fight as a training session with more meaning. I can walk in shake hands turn my head be ready to go to win and when over shake hands. This is a game/ sport it's not life or death, just be a man and deal with the outcome. As a camp it's win win there sure to have the winner.

Thread Information