Thread: Noons suspects Cerrone won't just stand with him

Default Noons suspects Cerrone won't just stand with him

Noons suspects Cerrone won't just stand with him - Mixed Martial Arts News

“I thought right away it’s a great matchup, great fireworks,” said Noons on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy as a fighter … . He’s very well versed. He’s a very well-rounded fighter. He likes to stand and bang, and he can mix it up anywhere.”

Noons had an undefeated streak for for over three years between with wins over Nick Diaz, Yves Edwards, and Jorge Gurgel, among others. However, he has struggled lately, going 1-4 his last five fights.

“I’m not making excuses for my losses, but the last five fights, the first loss was to Nick Diaz, which was a very close fight in a weight division which I don’t even fight in,” Noons said. “I did that for the organization because they asked me to. … I did lose to [Jorge] Masvidal, so we can say that’s a loss. Came back and won a fight after that, and then I fought Josh [Thomson] and he just laid on me like a human blanket. I kind of look at that like he was pretty scared to fight. I guess it wasn’t even really a fight, and then last fight, the judges gave it to [Couture]. Like I said, I’m not trying to make a lot of excuses, but it’s just kind of where the cards fell.”

In Noons’ view, the UFC brought him over from Strikeforce because he’s an entertaining fighter who deserved the nod against Couture.

“Stylistically, I believe I still have a lot of fights left,” said Noons. “I’m an exciting fighter. I think that has a lot to play in what the UFC decides. … I’m pretty confident that my style of fighting is pretty exciting and people like to watch it. That’s what the UFC likes. They like exciting fights and what people want to see.”

Donald Cerrone is known for an exciting style that has earned him $410,000 in 'of the Night' performance bonuses, but Noons is worried that "Cowboy" make try to avoid a stand up war.

“There’s only been one person that’s stood and banged with me,” said Noons. “It was Nick Diaz. I don’t know if that’s the smartest thing … . I train for every aspect of the game because it’s MMA. It might look like it’s going to be a standup war, but people want to put it wherever it’s going to be the most to their advantage. I feel like the biggest advantage for me is standing. He’s probably going to be wanting to take it anywhere, make my hands tired, make legs tired. I’m ready for wherever the fight goes. I think it’s going to be exciting anywhere.”

'Cowboy' Cerrone: Injury is just another shot of whiskey
    'Cowboy' Cerrone: Injury is just another shot of whiskey - Mixed Martial Arts News
    On his sprawling ranch outside Albuquerque, Cerrone has built his own little playground, complete with a garage full of motorcycles and ATVs, a barn full of horses, and a front yard full of livestock.

He also has a full-time job as a professional fighter, which Cerrone approaches with a zealotry driven by financial ambition.

He's done it as ferociously and as often as his body will allow, since that's the surest path to financial security as an MMA fighter, he said.

"My thing is, for instance on Saturday, all I've got to do is go out there and throw down, and if I do an extra good job, they might give me a $100,000 bonus," Cerrone said. "Usually they send you a bonus in the mail – a discretionary bonus – on top of everything else, too."

Those paydays do come at a price. Cerrone's fan-favorite style takes a toll on his body. When your financial well-being is tied to your willingness to make sure the night ends with blood on the mat, you can't afford to think too far ahead.

"Never have I thought, I'm going to be sore tomorrow," Cerrone said. "Being injured, that just means another shot of whiskey to me."

Cerrone is at his best when he goes with the flow and uses his subs where needed. He's become this banger and has been paying for it lately.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Don't like Cerrone, but like Noons even less. Thought it was funny when he said he wasn't going to make excuses...but then made excuses.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Noons is a joke, bad image for the sport. Gave up his belt to duck Diaz. Never liked him one bit.

Noons has much better boxing, but thats it. Cerrone has a much more-rounded stand-up game and slick subs. Cerrone wins this no doubt.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Cerrone kicks the shit out of Noons this weekend.

Just saw a picture of Noons' wife. He didn't do to badly for himself.

Well then Noons, go back to boxing if you can't stand that people won't "fight" you in MIXED martial arts.

Goooooo Cerrone! I hope he does to Noons what he did to Siver!
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    Just saw a picture of Noons' wife. He didn't do to badly for himself.

Wassup girl?

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Noons is a joke, bad image for the sport. Gave up his belt to duck Diaz. Never liked him one bit.

Noons has much better boxing, but thats it. Cerrone has a much more-rounded stand-up game and slick subs. Cerrone wins this no doubt.
    Seen as Noons fought Diaz later on in Strikeforce in a weight class that clearly didn't favour him I'd be inclined to say he wasn't ducking Diaz. Add in that EliteXc was a tad bit shady with how they dealt with fighters I'd side with Noons leaving them had little to do with any fear of Diaz.

Agree that this is Cerrone's match to lose... course I thought he'd have had a much closer match with the better boxer when he fought Nate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post

Wassup girl?
    Cheese and cracker!

Thread Information