Thread: Askren defends Bellator welterweight title against undefeated Russian

Default Askren defends Bellator welterweight title against undefeated Russian

Ben Askren defends Bellator welterweight title against undefeated Russian - MMA Fighting

Undefeated welterweight Ben Askren is set for his latest challenge.

Bellator MMA's 170-pound champion returns to action on July 31 at the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., a suburb of Albuquerque. His opponent on the evening is fellow unbeaten Andrey Koreshkov.

Askren (11-0), the former U. of Missouri wrestling standout, has held the title since 2010 and will be making his fourth title defense. His most recent victory was a doctor stoppage TKO over Karl Amoussou on Jan. 24.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back into that cage and putting on a show," Askren said. "I feel like I've continued to mature and get better in every one of my fights, and July 31st should be no different. I don't think Andrey has any ability to stop my wrestling and ground attack, so this will be another successful title defense."

Korsehkov, meanwhile, has a sizzling 2012 in which he went 5-0. His year was capped with decision over Lyman Good on Nov. 30 to claim the tourney title.

"I'll be 110 percent ready for this fight," Koreshkov said. "I'll make sure that Askren's tactics to put everybody in the audience to sleep won't work this time. Instead, I'll keep everybody entertained by putting him to sleep."

The Rio Rancho card will also feature the postponed season eight welterweight tourney final, as Douglas Lima takes on Ben Saunders. The bout, originally scheduled for March 21, was delayed when Lima (24-5) suffered a broken hand.

"It's an honor to fight a fighter like Ben again," Lima said. "With the time off I've been able to fully heal to 100 percent and like always, will be looking to finish the fight early."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Koreshkov hasn't fought a wrestler with the blanketing ability of Askren so it's very likely we see another very boring 5 round Askren fight.

But I believe in this young Russian kid.. He doesn't have a Sambo background which is going to work against him in this fight but his striking is light years ahead of Askren. I hope Ben has been working hard on his striking and gets cocky.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I predict myself falling asleep mid-fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    But I believe in this young Russian kid.. He doesn't have a Sambo background which is going to work against him in this fight but his striking is light years ahead of Askren. I hope Ben has been working hard on his striking and gets cocky.
    You do know that Pankration is a form of grappling, right?

To be fair, his last fight he beat the utter shit out of his opponent. Like a older brother beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    You do know that Pankration is a form of grappling, right?
    Darn straight!

To be fair, his last fight he beat the utter shit out of his opponent. Like a older brother beatdown.
    I almost changed the channel when this fight came up. Glad I didn't! He delivered a beating and I hope that is an indicator for his future fights. I'll watch this fight and see how it goes.

I would love to see askren start submitting people. His GNP looked much better against Amassou.

IF Askren performs like last time then I truly believe he will be a force. If it's another NCAA Funky Askren smothering than he's nothing more than a one trick pony of sorts and he can cry about being called boring all he wants, he IS boring.

Thread Information