'Bitter' Volkmann plans to 'expose' the UFC - Mixed Martial Arts News

Jacob Volkman recently caught up with AboveAndBeyondMMA.com and declared he is bitter about the UFC, and plans to expose them to the fans.

Ed Kapp: How did your introduction to MMA evolve into what it is today?

Jakob Volkmann: Well, I didnít realize there was that much politics in martial arts, especially in the UFC. That was kind of frustrating. Itís not who is the best; itís more of a political kind of BS.

EK: What do you mean by that?

JV: Youíve got to know the right person, have the right manager in there. And your style determines if you stay in, too. The guys that stand and bang are the ones who are still fighting for the UFC. The ones that take the fights to the ground and focus more on the technique on the ground, theyíre not in there because apparently the fans donít like that. That really bothers me because the UFC made the interest of the sport more of a stand-up fight because thatís what they put on the main card and thatís what the fans saw. They started liking that more than the ground game. Thatís what really bothers me.

EK: Why were you released?

JV: I was released after a loss against Bobby Green, which I shouldíve never lost. It was kind of a fluke loss, going into the fight sick. I lost and then after that, they cut me. I was 6-2 at lightweight and they still cut me. That was back in February.

EK: Were you expecting to be released?

JV: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

EK: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well ó the ones that are on the main card all the time. They donít treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury ó the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. Thereís no retirement fund, thereís no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, youíre really not making too much money because youíre self-employed, so youíre paying the self-employment tax and youíre paying the regular tax and income tax. So youíre paying twice as much in tax. They claim theyíre treating the fighters well, but theyíre not, realistically.

EK: Do you feel thatís a misconception among fans?

JV: Of course Ö People always tell me, ďYouíre rich ó youíre on TV!Ē Are you kidding me? I made $54,000 two years ago, paid $9,000 in taxes, so that leaves me with $45,000. This last year, I made $50,000 and paid $8,000 in taxes. That leaves me with $42,000 ó thatís barely above poverty. I have three kids and a wife Iím supporting.

EK: At the end of the day, what are you hoping to accomplish with the World Series of Fighting?

JV: Iím trying to make the fans realize what the UFC is really like ó Iím going to expose them as much as I can. But also my goal is to win in World Series and try to stay undefeated. Obviously itís to win. The short-term goal is to win. The long-term goal is, as soon as they come out with that belt, Iíd like to get that belt.