Thread: Miletich: Incompetent officials should be suspended

Default Miletich: Incompetent officials should be suspended

Miletich: Incompetent officials should be suspended - Mixed Martial Arts News

JB: You are one of the top broadcasters in MMA. What have been some of your best experiences in that role?

PM: There have been a lot of exciting fights and crazy things happen, but meeting the people in the industry and being taught by them is what I enjoy the most. Each network that I have worked for, whether it was AXS TV, Showtime Sports, or ESPN, has been a great experience. A broadcast is the work of a group of people who must work together. One person screws up his job and a lot can go wrong. You quickly learn that everyone is just a spoke in the wheel and everyone has an important role. As far as on-camera roles, live TV can be stressful, but it's also very rewarding. I'm just the color analyst, which means I am the "what" and "why" guy. I am the one who is supposed to inform the fans of what is truly happening and why it's happening that way. When you have competed and coached for twenty years, it's a fairly easy job if you can spit out the info fast and simple enough for the fans at home. The hardest on-camera job would be play by play. That's the job that Michael Schiavello and Mauro Ranallo do. People have no idea the amount of material these guys need to remember for the opening of a broadcast. Play by play guys are the quarterbacks of a broadcast and are extremely valuable to the personality and value of the show. Without a very talented person in this position, a broadcast quickly spirals into a really bad place. In the end, it is the people, and the overall education of the broadcasting side of things, that I will always remember, not the fights.

JB: When you take time to get away from MMA, what things do you enjoy doing these days?

PM: I really enjoy watching my 8 and 10 year old daughters in swim meets with my wife. They have really started to blossom as people and athletes and have accepted their roles in a brutally hard sport. Their coach is a close friend and former Navy SEAL, who runs extremely hard practices and does not allow kids to take the easy way out. Watching children that young, swimming 2-3 miles a practice, is impressive stuff. It's really paying off in terms of my kids learning work ethic and being hardnosed. I also enjoy fishing, golfing, and target shooting with my guns when I get time.

JB: You've accomplished so much through your many roles in the world of MMA. What plans or goals do you still have, and what issues are most important to you in the sport?

PM: I am always working on new goals, TV projects, business ventures, etc. I'll probably keep chugging along until the day I die at writing TV show concepts.

Judging and reffing issues in the sport seem to be one of the most glaring problems I see in MMA. There are many good ones, but, man, there are some horrible ones also. Fighters get suspended for doing things wrong. Officials should suffer the same fate if they aren't showing competence in their job.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Judging and reffing issues in the sport seem to be one of the most glaring problems I see in MMA. There are many good ones, but, man, there are some horrible ones also. Fighters get suspended for doing things wrong. Officials should suffer the same fate if they aren't showing competence in their job.
    There needs to be a standard 1st than I'm all for it

Miletich complains about reffing all the time (sometimes justifiably) I think maybe it's time for him and some others that have complained to lead by example and do some reffing themselves.

It's easy to sit on the sidelines with slo-mo replays and optimal up close viewing angles to see all the wrongs and mistakes it becomes an entirely different matter when you are the one reffing and all your actions are put under a microscope.

There isn't a sport out there where referees/umpires/officials are making mistakes because the very nature of things moving at a fast pace leaves room for mistakes.

Thread Information