+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamrock says Brock Lesnar could have been the best MMA fighter ever

Default Shamrock says Brock Lesnar could have been the best MMA fighter ever

Ken Shamrock says Brock Lesnar could have been the best MMA fighter ever -- but UFC didn't treat him right - MMAmania.com

"I think Brock mentally got beat, but I always thought that they didn't treat Brock right either. I thought they threw him in too soon. He's fighting guys that had 20 fights in his second fight because he's so massive and so impressive. It wasn't fair to him. If he would have got groomed properly, he could've been the best fight in any weight class, best pound-for-pound ever, if he was groomed properly. I'm not sure that [the diverticulitis] is everything. I know that's a big part of it, but what if he was training properly? Would that have even been a factor? I don't even know. I'm just saying, this guy had an opportunity to be great, and I just saw him mentally get dwindled down because he was thrown right into that. With guys that had a lot more fights than him, a lot more technical than him. Imagine what you could have done with this guy if you had groomed him properly?"
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

If Lesnar got into MMA instead of WWE out of college, trained properly, and not gotten diverticulitis, then it is very possible he would have been the most dominant HW in the sport. Nobody had his combination of size and athleticism over the last 10 years.

He comes into the UFC, faces Frank Mir, dominates him for 80sec before losing by submission. Classic rookie move to leave your leg in the grasp of a BJJ wizard.

AFter that, the UFC gives him Herring and right after Randy Couture for the title shot. The UFC gave it to him way tooooo soon. Not only could they have groomed him against strikers like Kongo and BJJ guys like Gonzaga, and another massive HW in Tim Sylvia, they could have profited by headlining those fights, raked in the 600k+ PPV buys that Brock was accustomed to.

I think he would have beaten all three (Sylvia, Gonzaga, Kongo) and come away from each fight as a better fighter, picking up on technique and skills that he would need to improve on.

He was a successful HW for the short run that he made in MMA, but he could have been much greater.

4. Default

Or he could've ended up like Todd Duffee...

Hey what the fuck did happen to Todd Duffee???
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post

Aint he back in the UFC? Coming off a KO win? I could be wrong here...

Yes he is injured, he may be back in the fall.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He's not wrong. If Brock had worked on his striking right out of college and not gone with fake wrestling, he would have been scary (more so)

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I can't really agree here. brock was still allergic to getting hit in the face, and that's not something training generally fixes. I also don't think he was as great a wrestler as people gave him credit for, in terms of technical skills...and he had a LONG time to work on his technical wrestling.

As far as giving him tough opponents...when you're one of the top 5 highest paid fighters in the league before you have a single win, you're going to get elite fighters. If lesnar wanted to take a slow road, he could have taken a lower pay scale.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post

He's on TRT at the ripe old age of 27.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information