Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos III Happening Next Following UFC 160 Victories

1. Default Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos III Happening Next Following UFC 160 Victories

The Trilogy: Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos Happening Next Following UFC 160 Victories | MMAWeekly.com

The next UFC heavyweight title fight is set.

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez defended his title against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 160 on Saturday. On the same card, former titleholder Junior dos Santos knocked out Mark Hunt in the co-main event to solidify a third fight with Velasquez.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas following the event.

“It’s a no-brainer. If ever there was a trilogy, that’s it right there,” said White.
    dos Santos and Velasquez first met in the first UFC fight ever televised on the Fox network on Nov. 12, 2011. dos Santos knocked out Velasquez just over a minute into the bout.

Velasquez avenged the loss in one-sided fashion and recaptured the title at UFC 155.

“If you look at the way both fights went. Junior destroys him in the first fight. Cain destroys him in the second fight. I can’t wait to see the third fight,” said the UFC president. “They both looked awesome tonight. They’re the two best heavyweights in the world and that’s the fight.

“When you talk about a trilogy between two heavyweights, this is a trilogy.”
    Velasquez welcomed the trilogy with dos Santos.

“That fight makes sense, so definitely,” said the champion. “I’m all up for that fight.”
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

This is way too soon IMO. At least wait for the Werdum/Nog fight and let Cain defend against Werdum first, should he emerge victorious. If Cain bullies JDS for 5 rounds again, then where does dos Santos go from there? Taking out other potential contenders until Cain loses the belt? (Which doesn't look likely any time soon). Or do we just keep watching these two fight each other once a year regardless of how the series progresses?
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    This is way too soon IMO. At least wait for the Werdum/Nog fight and let Cain defend against Werdum first, should he emerge victorious. If Cain bullies JDS for 5 rounds again, then where does dos Santos go from there? Taking out other potential contenders until Cain loses the belt? (Which doesn't look likely any time soon). Or do we just keep watching these two fight each other once a year regardless of how the series progresses?
    I felt Cain getting his rematch after just one win (albeit it being very dominant), was just tooo quick. He should have put together 2-3 solid wins before facing JDS again. But with the rematch happening, and the beating Cain gave JDS, it's too soon to book the rematch again.

Cain would have fought: JDS, Bigfoot, JDS, Bigfoot, and now JDS AGAIN!
    5 FIGHTS, 2 OPPONENTS! That's unheard of in MMA.

Guys like Werdum, Nelson, Hunt need to put together at least 4 wins and that's not enough to earn a title shot. I want variety in the title defenses.
    I understand JDS beat Hunt in impressive fashion but let's see someone else get a crack at the HW title for a change.

The HW division doesn't have a lot of depth. I think a fighter needs to put together 4-5 wins for a title shot, or 2 wins with both fights being against Top 10 guys (like Bigfoot Silva).

Werdum, as long as he beats nog and Cormier, who won't fight Cain are really the only other two heavyweights deserving right now

I would have rather seen pt. 3 last night rather than bigfoot fighting again, if you call that a fight.

I'd be happy with Werdum vs. Cain and JDS vs. Reem right now. Just cancel Werdum and Reem's upcoming matches.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I would not say that JDS dominated Cain in the first fight. He landed a strong punch that knocked Cain down and then finished him with ground and pound. The fight lasted only 1 minute.

Cain however did whatever he wanted for 25 minutes, that is a real domination.

It will be a great third fight, but I have Cain winning it again.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Are these guys gonna end up fighting 11 times in their career? Way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I don't think the length (or lack thereof) of the contest changes the fact that JDS had a dominant performance the first time he fought Cain.

JDS did exactly what he wanted to do in that first fight: avoid the takedown and throw his fists really hard at Cain's face until he was unable to continue.
    I think what he was trying to say was that anyone can get caught with a hard punch and falter. But to take a 25min beating, and just being humiliated and the life sucked out of you is just another kinda dominance.

Thread Information