Thread: Michael Bisping undergoes eye surgery to fix detached retina, next fight delay

Default Michael Bisping undergoes eye surgery to fix detached retina, next fight delay

Michael Bisping undergoes eye surgery to fix detached retina, next fight delayed until at least October - MMAmania.com

When Michael Bisping scored a rare technical decision win over Alan Belcher at UFC 159, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., April 27, 2013, many mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, as well as "The Talent" feared the worse.

That's because the Middleweight showdown ended early in the third round after Bisping delivered an accidental eye poke that floored Belcher, who had previously underwent surgery to repair a career-threatening detached retina in 2010.

Belcher ended up being fine, receiving eight stitches to close a gash on his eye lid (see pic here). Bisping, however, appears to have somehow sustained a more significant eye injury.

Ariel Helwani delivered the bad news on the latest edition (June 4, 2013) of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV:

"After the fight against Alan Belcher, Michael Bisping completely lost all peripheral vision in his right eye. He went to see an eye on doctor on Tuesday and he found out that he had a detached retina. On Thursday, he had surgery to fix the detached retina. He’s hoping to return to the UFC in October."

Odd indeed.

The good news, at least for now, is that the procedure does not appear it will keep Bisping on the sidelines for an extended period of time. In addition, he might need the extra time off to fully recover from a separate planned "minor procedure" to correct a "nagging nerve issue in his vertebrae."
    Yikes
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

12 fighters will call him out while he is injured.

I call it karma for poking Alan in the eye so hard that he started to bleed and then calling Alan a wuss for not fighting after it.

Shame. I was looking forward to Munoz running right through him.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    12 fighters will call him out while he is injured.
    Fighters have never really been shy about calling Bisping out whether he is healthy or injured

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I call it karma for poking Alan in the eye so hard that he started to bleed and then calling Alan a wuss for not fighting after it.
    YUP.

Old thread brought back by a SpamBot, but some how I missed this thread entirely.

But damn, that's messed up. I don't wish an eye injury on anyone. Still, not sure if that image depicts a detached retina or if he's taken some doses of acid.

Thread Information