+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFCs Josh Thomson compares gay marriage to pedophilia and incest

1. Default UFCs Josh Thomson compares gay marriage to pedophilia and incest

Where do we draw the line? UFCs Josh Thomson compares gay marriage to pedophilia and incest - MMAmania.com

In what many will view as a desire to lighten his wallet once the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass (er, Matt Hughes) gets done with this thanks to its new "Code of Conduct," top Lightweight contender Josh Thomson shared some very unfortunate words to say this past Monday (June 10, 2013) through social media.

The controversial topic? No, it had nothing to do with mixed martial arts (MMA), but rather the lightning rod known as gay marriage.

He starts out:

Josh Thomson ✔ @THEREALPUNK

Should you be allowed to marry whoever you want? Before you answer that, should u be allowed to have more than 1 wife?

7:02 PM - 10 Jun 2013
    Sigh.

There's really not too much I'd like to editorialize about this, so I'll just put down the facts. In the original piece over at Bloody Elbow, there are numerous links to Josh's Facebook page, in which he continued on his diatribe:

My next question is, should siblings be allowed to marry siblings? My point is, where do you draw the line? I personally don't care who you marry, but I also am smart enough to know that it opens a gateway to men/women trying to marry young kids, siblings marrying each other and people having multiple husbands an wives. You have to think all of these things are okay otherwise your stopping them from being happy as well which is hypocrisy. Equality doesn't stop with gay marriage, it just starts with it.
    He continued when someone brought up interracial marriage, stating that it was "nothing like this" and then, again, bringing up adults marrying children:

Blacks an whites getting married is nothing like this. So your okay with R. Kelly trying To marry lil girls? People trying to marry their brother or sister? Animals? Etc? Those people want the same exact thing, to be happy. Are you gonna tell them no?
    Sigh.

Pat Miletich joined the party on Thomson's Facebook as well -- though it appears now to have been deleted it was captured by other sites, including Bleacher Report -- adding a bit more wood to the bonfire of ignorance:

Josh is spot on. It may seem extreme to use some of his examples of 'where does it end' but I guarantee someone will want to marry their 1st cousin or even sibling. At what point does lack of civil liberty put this nation at risk? It's already happened and will only get worse.
    Sigh.

In the epic words of Gus Johnson, who used to call fights for "The Punk" on CBS when he competed under the Strikeforce banner, "Sometimes these things happen in MMA."

Just ask Matt Mitrione and Nate Diaz, two fighters who were fined and suspended for "insensitive" social remarks that bear an unfortunate resemblance to those recently posted by Thompson.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Call it what you want but Thomson is entitled to his opinion, made no overtly degrading comments and used no slurs that I saw.

I think he quickly fell into the "All or Nothing" and "Slippery Slope" campaign which is usually the last line of defense for folks who know the world is changing and they can't stop it.

Do I agree with him? Hell no but I fully believe he's entitled to his opinion provided he does so in a respectful manner and I don't think he was necessarily "comparing" gay marriage to pedophilia and incest as much as he was illustrating the hypocrisy in statements like "People should be able to marry whomever they want."
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I gotta say...
    I think the REAL danger here is the threat of turning ANY dissenting opinion into hate speech... which in my opinion, this is NOT.

Josh doesn't compare gay marriage to pedophilia or incest... he simply states that if you are going to change a social precedent (in this case, marriage being defined as between a man and a woman) and you are going to change it on the basis of "allowing people to be happy"... then what if some other people would be happy marrying their brother/sister? Or happy marrying a minor? Should their "happiness" (which is currently outside the social precedent or norm) not be accommodated as well?

It is a fair question... and in no way "compares" the one to the other. It simply asks, at what point does a society stop altering established norms in order to accommodate personal "happiness"? What is appropriate for our society?

I DO NOT AGREE WITH JOSH THOMSON. I AM FINE WITH GAY MARRIAGE. MY BROTHER (WHO WAS BORN MY SISTER) IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING GENDER RE-ASSIGNMENT. MY LESBIAN AUNTS ARE LIKE MOTHERS TO ME.

So don't get me wrong... I have MY own opinions too!

But I HATE when anyone with a different opinion gets branded as evil or "wrong" simply because they express their opinion! It's f**king annoying.

Josh should NOT be penalized for having an opinion. He expressed it lucidly and without any insulting remarks towards anyone.

I do NOT want to live in a world where intelligent debate is shut down by a few reactionary people who can't stand anyone who doesn't agree with their "correct" view of the world. F that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Call it what you want but Thomson is entitled to his opinion, made no overtly degrading comments and used no slurs that I saw.

I think he quickly fell into the "All or Nothing" and "Slippery Slope" campaign which is usually the last line of defense for folks who know the world is changing and they can't stop it.

Do I agree with him? Hell no but I fully believe he's entitled to his opinion provided he does so in a respectful manner and I don't think he was necessarily "comparing" gay marriage to pedophilia and incest as much as he was illustrating the hypocrisy in statements like "People should be able to marry whomever they want."
    In the context of saying a man marrying a man would/could lead to a man marrying a child and finalizing with where do we draw the line he is making a comparison.
    Incest is different because the results of incest directly affect the child that would be created from sexual interactions between 1st & 2nd cousins and closer kin. Pedophilia is different because you have one adult and a non-consenting child (or a child who doesn't know any better. Beastiality is different because you have an animal that cannot voice an opinion to clearly state whether they want this interaction. In regards to polygamy this is more of a tax issue than anything else because at the current time marriage is recognized between just two people, how do you file taxes for being married to 3 or 4 different women and in that vein what tax credits should you receive? You have a limit on how many children the government will give tax credits for and in turn they should limit how many people you can get a tax credit for being married to.
    This slippery slope argument he and others make is ignorant at best and completely (bigoted) utterly stupid at its worst. My simple question for those that oppose gay marriage in any way is how does it affect your life?
    If it is the "my children will see it and I will have to explain it" argument then by gosh how are you going to explain it when they see two people of the same sex holding hands, because the child isn't going to know whether they are married or not?" Lastly, being a parent generally means you will have to explain things to your children that may make you uncomfortable.
    If it is the "It's against my religion", great but it should not be against the law. But if we are outlawing things that are against the Christian god then lets go even further
    -It is against god to eat shrimp, crab and pork and plethora of other items that are in plenty of daily diets (Leviticus 11:9-12 ; Deuteronomy 14:9-10)
    -It is against god to sass your parents but children do that daily and are not put to death because of it (Deuteronomy 21:18-21;Proverbs 30:17;Mark 7:9-10 )
    -Women should not wear jewelry and be modest (1st Timothy Chapter 2)
    -Women should be silent in church (1st Corinthians Chapter 14 verse 33)
    -Women should sleep on the lawn when on her period and not allowed back in her own home after giving birth (Leviticus Chapter 12)
    -Wearing clothing of mixed materials (Deuteronomy 22:11)
    -Promotes incest when necessary to preserve the family line (All of Genesis, basically (if we are to believe Adam and Eve were the only people created by god, but specifically Lot's story Genesis Chapter 19)
    -Cutting off a woman's hand if she grabs a man's member (penis) to harm him (Deuteronomy Chapter 25 Verse 11)
    ETC ETC ETC

So in summary, Thompson's argument is simply stupid and there is no slippery slope among reasonable people. But yes, he has every right in the world to make his case as wrong as it may be.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

More crackpot garbage from Thomson, which isn't really anything new from him, just a much more touchy subject matter.

Hey, maybe he's just overcompensating for making those lady sounds Nate was talking about.

In the context of saying a man marrying a man would/could lead to a man marrying a child and finalizing with where do we draw the line he is making a comparison.
    There is a distinct difference between a comparison and saying A could lead to B.

: the act or process of comparing: as

a: the representing of one thing or person as similar to or like another

b: an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities
    I don't think he ever compared/contrasted the two, I think he was illustrating the pitfalls of that line of thinking:

I personally don't care who you marry, but I also am smart enough to know that it opens a gateway to men/women trying to marry young kids, siblings marrying each other and people having multiple husbands an wives. You have to think all of these things are okay otherwise your stopping them from being happy as well which is hypocrisy. Equality doesn't stop with gay marriage, it just starts with it.
    I believe his statement dealt with the argument that MANY folks use when they say, "Who am I to tell someone not to do what makes them happy?"

Again, I disagree with him but I COMPLETELY respect his right to have an opinion and not be penalized provided he does not do it in a disrespectful, spiteful, or attacking manner.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 06-13-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    I gotta say...
    I think the REAL danger here is the threat of turning ANY dissenting opinion into hate speech... which in my opinion, this is NOT.

Josh doesn't compare gay marriage to pedophilia or incest... he simply states that if you are going to change a social precedent (in this case, marriage being defined as between a man and a woman) and you are going to change it on the basis of "allowing people to be happy"... then what if some other people would be happy marrying their brother/sister? Or happy marrying a minor? Should their "happiness" (which is currently outside the social precedent or norm) not be accommodated as well?

It is a fair question... and in no way "compares" the one to the other. It simply asks, at what point does a society stop altering established norms in order to accommodate personal "happiness"? What is appropriate for our society?

I DO NOT AGREE WITH JOSH THOMSON. I AM FINE WITH GAY MARRIAGE. MY BROTHER (WHO WAS BORN MY SISTER) IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING GENDER RE-ASSIGNMENT. MY LESBIAN AUNTS ARE LIKE MOTHERS TO ME.

So don't get me wrong... I have MY own opinions too!

But I HATE when anyone with a different opinion gets branded as evil or "wrong" simply because they express their opinion! It's f**king annoying.

Josh should NOT be penalized for having an opinion. He expressed it lucidly and without any insulting remarks towards anyone.

I do NOT want to live in a world where intelligent debate is shut down by a few reactionary people who can't stand anyone who doesn't agree with their "correct" view of the world. F that.
    He absolutely is comparing gay marriage to incest and pedophilia. When you say if you allow A then next you'll allow B you are insinuating that B is some how similar to A.

I agree Josh is entitled to his opinion however the rest of us are entitled to think his opinion is stupid and based more on bigotry than logic. Having a right to something doesn't free you from it's consequences.

What makes me lose even more respect for Josh is the way he refuses to own his opinion. He just keeps saying "I don't care, I'm just asking questions" and then proceeds to argue against gay marriage. If you truly believe gay marriage is awful and will lead to people marrying their goldfish then stand by your opinion and defend it. Don't hide behind "I'm just asking questions" every time you get called out for it.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

I really don't know why shit like this makes the news. Its one athletes opinion on gay marriage. I don't care what Lebron James feelings are on abortion nor do I care what Tom Brady says about universal healthcare. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, they are not going to be all the same.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

I hope he enjoyed his career.

What a dumbass.
    best sig ever, hopefully rivethead is finally happy.
    doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    There is a distinct difference between a comparison and saying A could lead to B.
    That line gets inevitably blurred when you have some horrible hack of an MMA journalist who writes " Josh Thomson compares gay marriage to pedophilia and incest" even though it doesn't apply.

Josh is entitled to his opinion, just as fat people are entitled to wear skinny jeans. Personally, I do not agree with either, but I'll defend the offender's right to do so.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information