Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: TRT use now prohibited in California

Default Report: TRT use now prohibited in California

Report: TRT use now prohibited in California - Mixed Martial Arts News

Zach Arnold from FIghtOpinion attended an eight-hour California State Athletic Commission meeting on Monday, and reports that until further notice, there will no Therapeutic Use Exemptions for Testosterone Replacement Therapy.

On the meeting’s agenda, there was this item: “Subcommittee on Therapeutic Use Exemption — Discussion and possible action regarding draft policy.”

Rule 303, which was pushed to try to open up the Therapeutic Use Exemption process for testosterone use, was challenged at Monday’s hearing by Department of Consumer Affairs lawyer Michael Santiago. Karen Chappelle, attorney from the Attorney General’s office in Los Angeles, backed the current behavior regarding allowing fighters to use testosterone despite not having any text passed by the state legislature. Santiago, said that until there is a statute/Regulation on the books regarding testosterone that the commission should not be using an ‘underground’ policy of approving T usage. He argued that testosterone is considered a banned substance.

The end result is that fighters like Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, and Frank Mir will not be allowed to use testosterone while fighting in California until a law is on the books that explicitly spells out approval for T usage.

Good move
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I like the idea but, as usual, question the commission and its decision-making.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

I agree this is a great move. It is starting to become a joke with the fighters seeking TRT approval. When you have guys in their early 30's seeking TRT approval/prescriptions, it is a means of working around the PEDs ban.

You hear about the big name fighters who are using TRT, however, the use goes much deeper. I just heard about Nick Ring using TRT for his up coming fight. Like Nick, how many fighters lower on the ranks are using it as a means of improving their chances?

It should be banned.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

As much as we would all love to watch our favorite fighters continue to fight, there comes the time for them to hang up their gloves. Using TRT to lengthen their careers is only going to hurt them in the long run. Longer careers means more damage that they'll take which could very well shorten their lives. I'd much rather see a fighter I like retire early if they can't keep up with younger or better fighters than use something to try to extend they're career and end up a vegetable or dead.

What!???!? But it doesnt give you any sort of advantage.. Why on earth wouldnt they let guys pump themselves up with testosterone... Please let vitor and hendo's next fight be in Cali...

I know I'm in the minority but if fighters want to juice let them do it. California has now limited the fighters that will be there.

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    I know I'm in the minority but if fighters want to juice let them do it. California has now limited the fighters that will be there.
    They do juice... But make them at least do it illegally, instead of doctors legally juicing them up.

Where are you sniggs??? I know the politician has something to say about this.

You would think the UFC will get sick of this soon enough.. If they are going to start to get limited on which fighters they can book to fight in each location, TRT will be much harder to allow.

Also, what if a TRT user wins a belt. Are they going to have to cater to where the champ is allowed to fight? Imagine a champ was not allowed to fight in certian states...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Also, what if a TRT user wins a belt. Are they going to have to cater to where the champ is allowed to fight? Imagine a champ was not allowed to fight in certian states...
    I think that, and not that Anderson already beat him once, is why Vitor isn't discussed in title shot discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Thread Information