+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dana White: “Rashad needs to get that killer instinct back.”

1. Default Dana White: “Rashad needs to get that killer instinct back.”

Dana White: "Rashad needs to get that killer instinct back." - Five Ounces of Pain | RM Sports

Last night’s match-up at UFC 161 between light heavyweights Rashad Evans-Dan Henderson served as a relatively strong showing for both men though neither necessarily looked dominant. However, in the eyes of many fans, a more decisive result would have been produced had the bout been booked as a five-round affair.

UFC President Dana White addressed the notion with Fuel TV after the card’s conclusion, saying he had no regrets about the fight’s format.

“You can’t ask guys to fight five rounds when the fight’s almost here and they’ve signed for a three-round fight and have been training for a three-round fight,” said White matter-of-factly.
    UFC 161 was initially set to feature a bantamweight title-fight in the main event before interim champion Renan Barao was injured less tha a month ago. As a result, Henderson and Evans were slotted into the headlining spot.

In terms of the actual tilt, White was fine with judges awarding Evans the Split Decision win and generally pleased by what he saw from the former champion in comparison to the last time “Sugar” ‘Shad took to the Octagon.

“I think Rashad won. There’s no doubt beating a guy like Dan Henderson means something,” White explained before adding he felt there was still room for improvement. Rashad needs to get that killer instinct back. He got his head back, physically came back, and he looked great tonight. He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in. But he’s gotta get that killer instinct back.”
    Meanwhile, when it came to Henderson, White shrugged off calls for the 42-year old’s retirement by pointing to how competitive the clash with Evans was.

“This fight could have gone either way tonight. Dan didn’t come in here and get viciously knocked out. It wasn’t a one-sided, lopsided fight. You never know. Dan Henderson lands that right hand on anybody, anybody can go out,” acknowledged White.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Indeed, Rashad does need to get that killer instinct back and mix it up very well. He showed he can still throw the combos and his hand speed isn't bad at all so if he can just mix that up and then shoot for those takedowns I believe he will be a force in LHW again.
    I further believe since he is a leaner LHW if he were to drop to MW he could immediately make an impact and fight against Anderson as was rumored before the Diet Nog Fight.
    4 LIFE

3. Default

2nd That and he has to get it back or he won't be more than a top contender in either div

That Machida KO really screwed with him.

The only time I've seen him look completely confident since was against Tito where he seemed to know Tito couldn't hurt him at all.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    That Machida KO really screwed with him.

The only time I've seen him look completely confident since was against Tito where he seemed to know Tito couldn't hurt him at all.
    Well yea because Tito is a lot like Forest Griffin when it comes to stand up strikes. Rashad doesn't fair to well against fighters with proven KO power.

I still think his chin is very much suspect and he knows that.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

It was nice to see him throwing multiple combinations instead of just 1-2s this go round. Looked WAY better than his previous fight.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Well yea because Tito is a lot like Forest Griffin when it comes to stand up strikes. Rashad doesn't fair to well against fighters with proven KO power.

I still think his chin is very much suspect and he knows that.
    I think he and everyone else knows that he cannot take a solid punch from those who have proven KO power. Machida softened him up quite a damn bit before the knockout blow so it is not like he has no chin at all.
    Rashad can take a punch and come back from it, IE Thiago Silva and Rampage as neither of those punches put him clean out but rocked him which is to be expected from guys who have their power.
    4 LIFE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information